Earth MAss if Helium and Hydrogen in suns propotions were added,

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
TFM
Messages
1,016
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The mass of silicon in the Earth is estimated to be 7x10^23 kg. The ratios of the masses of Hyrdogen and Helium to silicon in the sun are: H/Si = 850, He/Si = 250. Calculate the mass of the the body thatwould have been produced if H and He had been added to the Earth (present day mass M_E = 6x10^24 kg) in the smae proportions to Si as they are in the sun, esxpressing your answer as a multiple of M_E. How does this result compare with the mass of Saturn (= 100M_E)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



does this question need me to convert the masses into number of molecules, or do I simply times the mass of Silicon by 250 and 850, and adde it to the mass of the the Earth?

Any help would be most appreciated,

TFM
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I just do it by mass an not atoms, I get a value of 5.95*10^26 for Hydrogen and 1.75*10^26 for Helium. Add this on to the mass of the Earth and I get 7.76*10^26, which is just over the mass of Saturn, does this look like the right thing to do?

TFM