Earth's magnetic field in Brisbane

In summary, the conversation was about calculating Earth's magnetic field in Brisbane for a lab report. The equation used was B = (8.991E-3)*I*N/R = 0.6034*I, with I representing the current going through helmholtz coils. The calculated value was 0.278 Gauss, and the poster was looking for someone to verify if this was accurate. They also asked if 0.286 Gauss was the entire local field strength or just the local horizontal component. The response was that the value provided was within the given range on the provided website for the horizontal field.
ausdreamer

Homework Statement

Calculate Earth's magnetic field in Brisbane. (This was for a lab report)

Homework Equations

B = (8.991E-3)*I*N/R = 0.6034*I (I = current going through helmholtz coils)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated a value of 0.278 Gauss for Earth's magnetic field. Surprisingly, however, I haven't found values anywhere to check my calculation and hoped someone could verify my value?

Sorry for posting a badly written question but this isn't really an assignment question but more to verify my lab results aren't too far off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would 0.286 Gauss be the entire local field strength, or just the local horizontal component?

You can find local field strengths http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/IGRFWMM.jsp" .

Last edited by a moderator:
The horizontal field. My value lies within their given range, thank you gneill :)

1. What is the strength of Earth's magnetic field in Brisbane?

The strength of Earth's magnetic field in Brisbane varies depending on the location and time. Currently, the average strength is around 40,000 nT (nanotesla), which is considered to be moderate compared to other locations on Earth.

2. How does Earth's magnetic field affect navigation in Brisbane?

The magnetic field in Brisbane plays a crucial role in navigation, especially for ships and aircraft. It helps guide compasses and other navigation instruments, making it easier to determine direction and avoid getting lost.

3. Is the magnetic field in Brisbane getting weaker or stronger?

The magnetic field in Brisbane has been gradually weakening over the past few centuries. However, this weakening is not significant enough to cause any major impacts or concerns for the region.

4. Can Earth's magnetic field in Brisbane protect us from solar storms?

Yes, Earth's magnetic field in Brisbane (and around the globe) plays a vital role in protecting us from solar storms. It deflects most of the charged particles and radiation from the sun, preventing them from reaching the Earth's surface and causing harm to living organisms.

5. How does the magnetic field in Brisbane affect the aurora borealis?

The magnetic field in Brisbane does not directly affect the aurora borealis (also known as the Southern Lights). However, it is a crucial factor in the formation of these beautiful natural phenomena. The Earth's magnetic field guides the charged particles from the sun towards the poles, where they interact with the atmosphere and create the aurora borealis.