Easy Acid-Base titration problem i think

• Thread starter gotmilk954
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, the conversation is about an individual who received a chem 2 final exam back and missed an A by two questions. They discuss two questions related to an Easy Acid-Base titration problem and share their answers, which were both marked as incorrect. They ask for help, but the person responding also gets the same answers and questions why they were marked wrong. The expert concludes that the individual deserves an A, and there may be something wrong with the grading.
gotmilk954
Easy Acid-Base titration problem... i think URGENT!

So i just got my final exam for chem 2 back and i missed an A by two question. The thing is these two questions i was for sure i got right but apparently i didnt... here they are:

Use the following information: 50 mL solution of 0.053M HCL is titrated with .080M KOH
(I assumed a strong acid strong base titration)

First question:
How many ml KOH are needed to reach the equivalence point?
I put 33.1 mL which was wrong

Second question:
What would be the pH at the equivalence point?
I put 7 which was wrong

Any help?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

No help, I get the same answers. Odd.

33.1mL looks OK, final pH of 7 looks OK as well.

I can see a reason why final pH should be 6.98 or 6.99, but I doubt you were expected to dig that deep.

Third to attest the correctness of your answers. You deserve an A, so something's up.

Hello there,

I understand your frustration with missing an A by just two questions on your final exam. Let's take a look at the questions and see if we can figure out what went wrong.

For the first question, you correctly identified that this is a titration between a strong acid (HCl) and a strong base (KOH). We can use the formula M1V1 = M2V2 to solve for the volume of KOH needed to reach the equivalence point.

M1 is the initial concentration of the acid (0.053M) and V1 is the initial volume (50mL). M2 is the concentration of the base (0.080M) and V2 is the volume of base needed to reach the equivalence point, which is what we are trying to find.

Plugging in the values, we get (0.053M)(50mL) = (0.080M)(V2). Solving for V2, we get V2 = 33.125mL, which rounds to 33.1mL. So it looks like your calculation was correct, but perhaps there was a rounding error or a typo in your answer.

For the second question, the pH at the equivalence point of a strong acid-strong base titration is indeed 7. This is because at the equivalence point, the moles of acid and base are equal, resulting in a neutral solution with a pH of 7. It's possible that there was a mistake in the question or in the answer key.

In any case, I would suggest talking to your professor about these questions and showing them your work. They may be able to provide some clarification or potentially even give you credit for the questions if there was an error on their end.

I hope this helps and good luck with your future chemistry studies!

1. What is an acid-base titration?

An acid-base titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of an acid or a base in a solution. This is done by measuring the volume of one solution needed to neutralize a known volume of the other solution.

2. How is an acid-base titration performed?

To perform an acid-base titration, a known volume of the acid solution is placed in a flask, and a few drops of an indicator (such as phenolphthalein) are added. Then, a base solution of known concentration is slowly added to the acid solution until the indicator changes color, indicating that the acid has been completely neutralized.

3. What is the purpose of an acid-base titration?

The purpose of an acid-base titration is to determine the concentration of an acid or a base in a solution. This information is important in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and medicine, as it allows us to accurately measure and control the acidity or alkalinity of a solution.

4. What are some common sources of error in an acid-base titration?

Some common sources of error in an acid-base titration include incorrect measurement of volumes, inaccurate concentration of solutions, and improper use of indicators. To minimize these errors, it is important to use precise measuring equipment and carefully follow the instructions for the titration procedure.

5. Can an acid-base titration be used to determine the concentration of a weak acid or base?

Yes, an acid-base titration can be used to determine the concentration of a weak acid or base. However, in this case, a different indicator (such as methyl orange) may need to be used, and the titration curve may be different. It is important to consult a titration table or a chemistry textbook for the appropriate indicator and titration curve for a weak acid or base.