Easy (but not to me) Modern Algebra Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving Carmichael numbers and odd primes. The conversation discusses using Fermat's Little Theorem to show that the greatest common divisor of p-1 and n-1 is greater than 1. The conversation also mentions using a coprime number a to prove this statement.
c.francis
Hi everyone, I am hoping that someone can please give me some help with this homework problem.

Homework Statement

In n>2 is a Carmichael number and p/n is an odd prime, then show that gcd(p-1,n-1) >1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did, but I am not sure if its right:

Choose an a coprime to n and that does not divide p (2 will work because p is prime and carmichael numbers are odd).

Then ap-1 [tex]\equiv[/tex]1 (mod p) (by Fermats Little Theorem) and an-1 [tex]\equiv[/tex]1 (mod n) by definition. This implies that an-1 [tex]\equiv[/tex]1 (mod p) because p/n.

So to finish can I just say that because ap-1 [tex]\equiv[/tex]1 (mod p) and an-1 [tex]\equiv[/tex]1 (mod p) this implies that ap-1^some integer=an-1, and so (p-1)/(n-1)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about this revised version, is this right?

Choose an a coprime to n and that does not divide p (2 will work because p is prime and carmichael numbers are odd).

Then by FLT, ap-1[tex]\equiv[/tex]1 (mod p), and by definition an-1[tex]\equiv[/tex]1 (mod n). Then because p/n, an-1[tex]\equiv[/tex]1 (mod p). Now this implies that the order of a mod p (which cannot be 1 because that would mean a is 1 and 1 isn't coprime to n and does divide p) divides both n-1 and p-1. Thus the gcd(n-1,p-1) is greater than 1.

I haven't really had a lot of time to think about this, but stop writing p/n instead of p|n. (i.e. p divides n). It confused me right off the bat, and may confuse other people. Who might know number theory a lot better than I do.

1. What is Modern Algebra and why is it considered difficult?

Modern Algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies abstract structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It is considered difficult because it deals with abstract concepts and requires a high level of mathematical maturity to understand and apply.

2. What is a proof in Modern Algebra and how is it different from other mathematical proofs?

A proof in Modern Algebra is a logical argument that shows the validity of a statement or theorem within the context of abstract algebraic structures. It is different from other mathematical proofs because it often involves using abstract concepts and properties rather than concrete numbers and equations.

3. How can I make Modern Algebra proofs easier to understand?

One way to make Modern Algebra proofs easier to understand is to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the basic definitions and properties of abstract algebraic structures. It is also helpful to break down the proof into smaller steps and understand the logic behind each step.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a Modern Algebra proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a Modern Algebra proof include mixing up definitions and properties of different algebraic structures, assuming what needs to be proven, and not clearly stating the logic behind each step.

5. What are some resources for learning and practicing Modern Algebra proofs?

There are many textbooks and online resources available for learning and practicing Modern Algebra proofs. Some recommended books include "A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles C. Pinter and "Abstract Algebra: Theory and Applications" by Thomas W. Judson. Additionally, many universities offer online lectures and practice problems for Modern Algebra.