Applying the Chain Rule to the Derivative of y=2x^{sinx}

In summary, to evaluate the derivative of y=2x^{sinx}, one would use the chain rule and product rule. However, the incorrect application of the chain rule in this conversation results in the incorrect answer y'=-2x^{cosx}. The correct method is to take logarithms of both sides and differentiate implicitly.
physicsed
[tex] y=2x^{sinx}[/tex]

i know i should use the product rule within a chain rule. but how can i use chain rule with sinx

is the anwser

[tex] y=-2x^{cosx}[/tex]

can anyone give me pointer to this easy problem and tell if am forgetting something.

Physics news on Phys.org
or maybe the answer is

[tex] y=-2cosx [/tex]

That definitely is not the answer. You need to realize what you're doing when you apply the chain rule. First of all, you are attemping to find [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex], which you have not indicated. Show your work and maybe we can help, but you first have to transform the equation into something you can work with (i.e. get rid of the exponent). How would you accomplish this?

Edit: Is your equation [itex]y=2xsin(x)[/itex] or [itex]y=2x^{sinx}[/itex]?

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] [tex] {y= 2x^{sinx}} [/tex]

product rule
[tex] f= 2 f'= 0
g= x g'=? [/tex]
chain rule
[tex] f= x f'= 1
g=? g'=? [/tex]
is the anser
[tex]
y'=-2x^{cosx} [/tex]

Last edited:
You're making the assumption that:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\;2x^{sin(x)}=-2x^{cos(x)}\rightarrow (f \circ g)' = f'\circ g\cdot g'=-2x^{cos(x)}[/tex]

It doesn't.

You're using the chain rule but incorrectly, use the product rule on the results.

Last edited:
To evaluate this derivative I would take logarithms of both sides to get ln(y)=sinx.ln(2x) and then differentiate implicitly.

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a calculus rule that is used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. Why is the chain rule important in calculus?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complicated functions by breaking them down into simpler functions and applying the rule. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus that is used in many higher level mathematical concepts.

3. How do you apply the chain rule in a problem?

To apply the chain rule, you need to identify the outer and inner functions of a composite function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. You may need to use the product rule or chain rule multiple times depending on the complexity of the function.

4. Can you give an example of using the chain rule in a problem?

Sure! Let's take the function f(x) = (x^2 + 1)^3. The outer function is (x^2 + 1)^3 and the inner function is x^2 + 1. Using the chain rule, we take the derivative of the outer function, which is 3(x^2 + 1)^2, and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, which is 2x. Therefore, the derivative of f(x) is 6x(x^2 + 1)^2.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Yes, some common mistakes include forgetting to multiply by the derivative of the inner function, incorrectly identifying the inner and outer functions, or not applying the chain rule multiple times when necessary. It is important to carefully analyze the function and follow the steps of the chain rule correctly to avoid mistakes.