Easy change in direction question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of change in velocity and how it is calculated in different scenarios. The example of a plane traveling north and then south at the same speed is used to illustrate that the change in velocity is 400 m/s south. The conversation also explores the concept of change in velocity when the direction changes, using examples of traveling at different speeds and in opposite directions. It is noted that the change in velocity is dependent on the initial and final speeds and directions.
rcmango

Homework Statement

if there's a plane traveling north at 200 m/s and then travel south at 200 m/s then its change in velocity is 400 m/s south.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so the answer is 400 m/s south.

however, i don't understand why the change is 400, and not 0 or just 200?

i see the new direction is south.

is there an equation for problems like these?

maybe you could make up another example with the answer included so i can see this better.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it... let's say your traveling 60 miles per hour and then all of the sudden your traveling 20 miles per hour in the same direction? What's the change in velocity? Well, that is 40 miles per hour.

If you're going 60 miles per hour and then you stop all of the sudden, what's the change in velocity?

Now, if you're going 60 miles per hour and then you start going 20 miles per hour in the OPPOSITE direction, what's the CHANGE in velocity?

If you're going 60 miles per hour and then you stop all of the sudden, what's the change in velocity?
...then i would say it is 60 miles per hour, since your not moving anymore. correct?

also,

if you're going 60 miles per hour and then you start going 20 miles per hour in the OPPOSITE direction, what's the CHANGE in velocity?
...i would say 80 miles per hour in the opposite direction because you add them together it seems?

this all seems confusing to me.

What is the concept of "Easy change in direction question"?

The concept of "Easy change in direction question" refers to a type of question that allows for a smooth transition from one topic or idea to another. It is often used in interviews or discussions to keep the conversation flowing and to explore different perspectives.

How is an "Easy change in direction question" different from a regular question?

An "Easy change in direction question" differs from a regular question in that it is specifically designed to shift the focus of the conversation. It is open-ended and can be used to steer the discussion in a new direction, rather than simply seeking a direct answer.

When is it appropriate to use "Easy change in direction questions"?

"Easy change in direction questions" can be used in a variety of settings, such as interviews, meetings, and casual conversations. They are particularly useful when trying to explore different viewpoints or when you want to keep the conversation moving forward.

What are the benefits of using "Easy change in direction questions"?

There are several benefits to using "Easy change in direction questions." They can help to break up monotonous or repetitive conversations, foster deeper thinking and reflection, and encourage new ideas and perspectives. They also allow for a more natural and fluid conversation.

How can I improve my skills in using "Easy change in direction questions"?

To improve your skills in using "Easy change in direction questions," it is important to practice frequently. Pay attention to the flow of conversations and how different types of questions can affect the direction of the discussion. Additionally, actively listening to others and being open to their responses can help you to come up with more effective "Easy change in direction questions."