Easy Circular Motion Problem that I can't get right

In summary, the astronaut in Figure P4.32 is preparing to dock with a Westar VI satellite, which is in a circular orbit 470 km above the Earth's surface. The satellite experiences a free-fall acceleration of 8.19 m/s^2, equivalent to 1061.42 km/h^2. Using the formula a = v^2/r, the speed of the satellite is calculated to be 2694.46 km/h, which is off by a multiple of ten due to a conversion error.
intriqet
The astronaut orbiting the Earth in Figure P4.32 is preparing to dock with a Westar VI satellite. The satellite is in a circular orbit 470. km above the Earth's surface, where the free-fall acceleration (centripetal acceleration) is 8.19 m/s2. Take the radius of the Earth as 6370 km.

Determine the speed of the satellite in km/h.

THis is a circular motion problem where a = v^2/r can be used right?
8.19 m/s^2 converted to km/h^2 = 1061.42 km/h^2

sqrt(1061.424*(470+6370) = 2694.46

my answer was 2694.46; 2690 but the system is telling me that I'm off by a multiple of ten. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your conversion from m/s to km/h is wrong...

It seems like you have the right idea, but there may be a mistake in your calculations. The equation a = v^2/r should be a = v^2/r^2, as the radius is squared in the equation. So, the correct calculation would be sqrt(1061.42*(470+6370)^2) = 2694.46 km/h. This should give you the correct answer. Also, make sure to double check your unit conversions, as that could also be a source of error.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a continuously changing direction. An example of circular motion is the motion of a car on a roundabout.

2. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves an object moving along a curved path, while linear motion involves an object moving along a straight path. In circular motion, the direction of the object is constantly changing, while in linear motion, the object moves in a single direction at a constant speed.

3. What is centripetal force and how does it relate to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving along a circular path. In circular motion, the centripetal force is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for constantly changing the direction of the object's motion. Without this force, the object would move in a straight line instead of a circular path.

4. How do you calculate the centripetal force in a circular motion problem?

The formula for calculating the centripetal force is F = m * v^2 / r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula is derived from Newton's second law, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some common examples of circular motion in everyday life include the motion of a carousel, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the motion of a washing machine drum. Other examples include the motion of a spinning top, the rotation of the Earth, and the movement of a Ferris wheel.