Circular Motion (Orbiting Objects)

In summary: And you should have given units. Soa=v^2/rv=sqrt(ar)Now just plug in and take a calculator to it. I get 2.97 km/s.And if you want to do part 2, remember that for a circular orbit, that's the time it takes to go around once, so one orbit, so it's the period of the orbit. And the period of a circular orbit is the circumference divided by the velocity.In summary, we used the equation a=v^2/r to find the speed of a satellite in circular orbit 4000 km above the Earth's surface. After converting the units, we found the speed to be 2.97 km/s.
physicsluv

Homework Statement

*Part 1*
A satellite is in a circular orbit 4000 km above
the Earth’s surface; i.e., it moves on a circular
path under the influence of nothing but the
Earth’s gravity. Find the speed of the satellite. The radius of the Earth is 6.37 x10^6 , and the acceleration of gravity at the satellite’s altitude is3.71055 m/s^2.
Answer in units of km/s

*Part 2*
Find the time it takes to complete one orbit
around the Earth.
Answer in units of s.

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r
Fc=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

For part one, I used a=v^2/r (3.71055=v^2/(6.37x10^6+4,000,000) and then converted it to km/s. I got 3.84784035 km/s which was wrong. Am i doing something wrong?

I also have no idea how to do part 2 :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got nearly twice that. Take time to solve it for v on paper before keying it in!
I don't see a part 2.

Did I use the correct equation? And sorry about that, I just labeled part 2!

physicsluv said:
Did I use the correct equation? And sorry about that, I just labeled part 2!

You've used a correct equation, but you didn't finish; you solved for v2, not v.

For part 1, you are on the right track, but you need to be careful with your units. The radius of the Earth is given in meters, but the altitude of the satellite is given in kilometers. So you need to convert the radius of the Earth to kilometers before adding it to the altitude. Also, make sure to use the correct value for the acceleration of gravity at the satellite's altitude, which is given as 3.71055 m/s^2, not 3.71055 km/s^2.

Correct calculation: a = v^2 / r, where r = (6.37 x 10^6 + 4000) km = 6.374 x 10^6 km, and a = 3.71055 m/s^2
Solving for v, we get v = √(a*r) = √(3.71055 * 6.374 x 10^6) = 7.661 km/s

For part 2, you can use the formula for the period of a circular orbit, T = 2πr/v, where r is the same as in part 1 and v is the speed calculated above.

Substituting the values, we get T = 2π * (6.374 x 10^6 + 4000) / 7.661 = 5.587 x 10^3 seconds = 1.552 hours

Hope this helps!

1. What causes an object to orbit?

An object orbits around another object due to the gravitational force between the two objects. This force keeps the object in a curved path, rather than flying off in a straight line.

2. How is the speed of an object in orbit determined?

The speed of an object in orbit is determined by its distance from the object it is orbiting and the mass of that object. The closer an object is to the center of mass, the faster it will orbit.

3. Why do objects in orbit not fall back to Earth?

The gravitational force between the orbiting object and the object it is orbiting is constantly pulling the object towards the center of mass. However, the object also has a tangential velocity that keeps it moving forward, preventing it from falling back to Earth.

4. Can an object have multiple orbits?

Yes, an object can have multiple orbits around different objects if it has enough velocity and the gravitational force of those objects are strong enough to keep it in orbit.

5. How does the shape of an orbit affect the speed of an object?

The shape of an orbit does not affect the speed of an object, but rather the distance from the center of mass. Objects in a circular orbit have a constant speed, while objects in an elliptical orbit have varying speeds depending on their distance from the center of mass.