1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Energy Conservation. Spring, Incline/Ramp, Friction.

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question for search purposes:

A crate is placed against a compressed spring on an incline. When the spring is released, the crate moves up the ramp and comes to a stop.

How far was the spring compressed?

Hint: The mass and the spring may not be in contact at the end.

13-2-q.png
    13-2-1.png

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your equation for energy conservation looks okay. I would have formulated it as:

spring elastic potential energy lost = grav. potential energy gained + work done by friction

which is a slightly more intuitive ordering to me.

It looks like you forgot a factor of g in your expression for the normal force, which should of course end up having units of force, not mass.

4. Feb 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your help. I agree that they were ordered funny -- but by the time I realized that, I was feeling too lazy to redo my diagram!

Anyway, I tweaked some things, and now my answer is even further off! I am being tested on this Monday, so I appreciate the help...got to figure these concepts out!

I just double and triple checked this for accuracy....I am getting exactly what my math is telling me I should get, so I must have set something up wrong or something.

13-2-2.png

Hold it -- duh. Hold it. Got my spring equation off a little.

5. Feb 26, 2010 #4
    Solution

13-2-3.png

6. Feb 26, 2010 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Glad to see you sorted it out.

7. Feb 26, 2010 #6
    Yeah, thanks for the help. It's hard to wander through the algebra forest looking for mistakes when you're not even sure your Physics is right ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook