Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Easy Energy Conservation. Spring, Incline/Ramp, Friction.

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question for search purposes:

A crate is placed against a compressed spring on an incline. When the spring is released, the crate moves up the ramp and comes to a stop.

How far was the spring compressed?

Hint: The mass and the spring may not be in contact at the end.

13-2-q.png
    13-2-1.png

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your equation for energy conservation looks okay. I would have formulated it as:

spring elastic potential energy lost = grav. potential energy gained + work done by friction

which is a slightly more intuitive ordering to me.

It looks like you forgot a factor of g in your expression for the normal force, which should of course end up having units of force, not mass.

4. Feb 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your help. I agree that they were ordered funny -- but by the time I realized that, I was feeling too lazy to redo my diagram!

Anyway, I tweaked some things, and now my answer is even further off! I am being tested on this Monday, so I appreciate the help...got to figure these concepts out!

I just double and triple checked this for accuracy....I am getting exactly what my math is telling me I should get, so I must have set something up wrong or something.

13-2-2.png

Hold it -- duh. Hold it. Got my spring equation off a little.

5. Feb 26, 2010 #4
    Solution

13-2-3.png

6. Feb 26, 2010 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Glad to see you sorted it out.

7. Feb 26, 2010 #6
    Yeah, thanks for the help. It's hard to wander through the algebra forest looking for mistakes when you're not even sure your Physics is right ;)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook