Easy geometry problem, please give me a hint....

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the distance between two points on a segment of a circle. The individual is struggling to find an equation to solve this problem and is considering using the Pythagorean Theorem. They also mention rotating the diagram and writing down equations for the circle and chord. Additionally, they mention their professor not teaching them about chord equations.
manareus
Homework Statement
I'm struggling to find an equation to find the distance between two points from the segment to the arc of the circle.
Relevant Equations
I'm thinking of just using Pythagorean Theorem, but it doesn't work for the segment of a circle. Circle equations.
WhatsApp Image 2021-10-11 at 18.57.24.jpeg

I have calculated the height of the segment using the Pythagorean Theorem and that's currently where I am right now. I don't seem to find any equations that can help me. Though I might be not trying hard enough or using the wrong words because I'm not really fluent in mathematical terms as you can observe from the details that I provided.

EDIT: I might be in the wrong topics, but whatever.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\sqrt{50^2-x^2}-10[/tex]where x is distance from c line.

anuttarasammyak said:
Kindly explain where the equation come from?

anuttarasammyak said:
The equation of circle ref. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle
anuttarasammyak said:
What did you mean by the "distance from c line" sorry? From what point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit. Not -10 but -40. Say x=0how much is it and where is it ?

manareus said:
I'm struggling to find an equation to find the distance between two points from the segment to the arc of the circle.
It's not clear to me what you're trying to find. Which two points on the line segment?

Also, a segment of a circle is a portion of the circle subtended by two radii, sort of like a piece of pie.

Likes WWGD and Delta2
anuttarasammyak said:
Edit. Not -10 but -40. Say x=0how much is it and where is it ?
It should be 10 and it's the sagitta, am I correct?

But I'm still not sure how can you come up with that equation though. Yes it's the equation of a circle but, if I'm wording this correctly, where did you derived this equation from?

Is it from C = πd? Or A = πr^2?

Or even r^2 = x^2 + y^2? Please guide me through it. I don't like not knowing the aspect of "why" from an equation.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
It's not clear to me what you're trying to find. Which two points on the line segment?

Also, a segment of a circle is a portion of the circle subtended by two radii, sort of like a piece of pie.
I'm trying to find the distance between the chord to the arc of the circle, see question mark I put on the picture I shared. Sorry if I make you confused.

manareus said:
I'm trying to find the distance between the chord to the arc of the circle, see question mark I put on the picture I shared. Sorry if I make you confused.
That distance varies depending on the point of the chord you choose. Are you trying to find the distance at points 6 units apart on the chord?

I would rotate your diagram anticlockwise and write down the equation of the chord and the circle. The distance is simply the difference in y-coordinates for a given x-coordinate.

Likes Steve4Physics
manareus said:
It should be 10 and it's the sagitta, am I correct?
So you see x as
21101221643.jpg

PeroK said:
I would rotate your diagram anticlockwise and write down the equation of the chord and the circle. The distance is simply the difference in y-coordinates for a given x-coordinate.

2110121652.jpg
@manareus Do you write down equations of this upper half circle and the red horizontal line ?

Likes PeroK

PeroK said:
That distance varies depending on the point of the chord you choose. Are you trying to find the distance at points 6 units apart on the chord?

Interesting, though I cannot admit that I am able to visualize it.
anuttarasammyak said:
View attachment 290568@manareus Do you write down equations of this upper half circle and the red horizontal line ?
Hmm I don't know actually my Professor doesn't teach me any chord equations. Probably only 1, where if one bowstring is the diameter and the other bowstring cuts perpendicularly, it will cut into two equal lengths.

Regarding the equation for a circle you mean the area or the circumference? Or the x and y one?

manareus said:
Or even r^2 = x^2 + y^2?
Yes, that's it.

Last edited:
manareus said:
Interesting, though I cannot admit that I am able to visualize it.
See post #12.

manareus said:
Hmm I don't know actually my Professor doesn't teach me any chord equations.
In post #12 the chord is a horizontal line. You shouldn't need a professor to tell you the equation of one of those!

anuttarasammyak said:
Yes, that's it.
PeroK said:
See post #12.In post #12 the chord is a horizontal line. You shouldn't need a professor to tell you the equation of one of those!
Ah okay thank you for your help!

manareus said:
Homework Statement:: I'm struggling to find an equation to find the distance between two points from the segment to the arc of the circle.
Relevant Equations:: I'm thinking of just using Pythagorean Theorem, but it doesn't work for the segment of a circle. Circle equations.

View attachment 290504
I have calculated the height of the segment using the Pythagorean Theorem and that's currently where I am right now. I don't seem to find any equations that can help me. Though I might be not trying hard enough or using the wrong words because I'm not really fluent in mathematical terms as you can observe from the details that I provided.

EDIT: I might be in the wrong topics, but whatever.
Could you please indicate just what segments you're referring to here? Maybe mark them in red or other color?

WWGD said:
Could you please indicate just what segments you're referring to here? Maybe mark them in red or other color?
@WWGD see the figure in the OP, there is a question mark "?" with arrows pointing to the line segments.

Likes WWGD

1. What is the best approach to solving an easy geometry problem?

The best approach to solving an easy geometry problem is to first identify the given information and what is being asked. Then, use basic geometry principles and formulas to solve for the unknown variables.

2. How can I improve my geometry problem-solving skills?

Practice is key to improving your geometry problem-solving skills. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. Additionally, reviewing geometry principles and formulas can also help improve your skills.

3. Can you give me a hint on how to solve this specific geometry problem?

Sure! One helpful hint is to draw a diagram of the problem to visualize the given information and the unknown variables. This can make it easier to apply geometry principles and solve the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving geometry problems?

One common mistake is not paying attention to units. Make sure to use the same units throughout your calculations to avoid errors. Additionally, always double check your work and make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. How can I check if my answer to a geometry problem is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem and seeing if it satisfies all the given information. You can also use an online calculator or ask a friend or teacher to check your work.