Easy Guide to Finding HCF & LCM of 3 Numbers - 18, 24 & 27"

• Thread starter Gringo123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the technique of using prime factorisation to find the highest common factor (HCF) and lowest common multiple (LCM) of multiple numbers. The speaker shares their difficulty in finding the HCF of 18, 24, and 27 and asks for an explanation. It is explained that the LCM can be found by taking the maximum degree of prime numbers, while the HCF can be found by taking the minimum degree. The conversation also includes an off-topic discussion about the thread's category.
Gringo123
I've been stuydying how to work out the highest common factor and lowest common multiple of 2 numbers. I had no problems until I had to work these things out for 3 different numbers. The numbers are 18, 24 & 27.
I was able to work out that 216 is the LCM, but I cannot see how I can work out that 3 is the HCF. Can anyone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrong board, but I'll answer anyway (this thread will be moved right, mods?)
The technique to use is prime factorisation; factorise each of the numbers into a product of prime numbers eg. 24 = 2^3 * 3. Due to the unique properties of prime numbers, you can obtain both the LCM and HCF by simply comparing the prime factor representations of the numbers involved.

It will be simple (=
18=2x3²
24=2³x3
27=3³

LCM simply means take the maximum degree among the all the primes.
&
HCF simply means take the minimum degree among the all the primes.

For instance LCM of 18 , 24 and 27 , we will take 2³x3³ for we see 2 to the power of 3 is the maximum degree which is taken from 24 and 3 to the power of 3 is the maximum degree as taken from 27.

HCF is the otherwise, we take the minimum degree of prime.
HCF(18,24,27)=[tex]2^{0}\times3^{1}[/tex]=3Btw, Fightfish this thread is belong under what category?

Related to Easy Guide to Finding HCF & LCM of 3 Numbers - 18, 24 & 27"

1. What is HCF and LCM?

HCF (Highest Common Factor) is the largest number that divides all the given numbers without any remainder. LCM (Lowest Common Multiple) is the smallest number that is a multiple of all the given numbers.

2. How do I find the HCF of three numbers?

To find the HCF of three numbers, you can use the division method. Divide the largest number by the second largest number, then divide the second largest number by the remainder. Keep repeating this process until the remainder is 0. The last divisor used will be the HCF.

3. How do I find the LCM of three numbers?

To find the LCM of three numbers, you can use the prime factorization method. Write each number as a product of its prime factors. Then, take the highest power of each prime factor that appears in any of the numbers and multiply them together. The result will be the LCM.

4. Can the HCF be larger than the smallest number?

No, the HCF cannot be larger than the smallest number. The HCF is a factor of all the given numbers, so it must be smaller than or equal to the smallest number.

5. Can the LCM be smaller than the largest number?

Yes, the LCM can be smaller than the largest number. The LCM is a multiple of all the given numbers, so it can be smaller than or equal to the largest number.