• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Easy Motion Problem - Distance

1. Homework Statement
A Car Completes two laps of a 2.2 km racetrack is 98 seconds Find:
A.) The Cars distance travelled (in km).

2. Homework Equations +3. The Attempt at a Solution
I know that you have to multiply 2.2km by 2 laps but for my homework i have to show a formula and complete a full answer
(what am i given)
[something] = 2 [meaning laps]
[something] = 2.2 km
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d = ?

(required formula)
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d = [something]*[something]
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d = 2 * 2.2
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d = 4.4 km

(therefore statement)
[therefore] the distance travelled by the runner would be 4.4 km

I know what 2*2.2 is im not stupid but i don't know the correct formula to use and i don't know what symbols to fill in where the [somethings] are. Help?

Answers and Replies

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Strange question. There is no particular formula other than the distance is equal to the no. of laps multiplied by the distance per lap.

Strange question. There is no particular formula other than the distance is equal to the no. of laps multiplied by the distance per lap.
Also if asked for the displacement of the object, it would be 0 due to the circular track you would end where you started correct? Is there a formula for displacement using the given information or what should i show to get 0 as displacement.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Also if asked for the displacement of the object, it would be 0 due to the circular track you would end where you started correct? Is there a formula for displacement using the given information or what should i show to get 0 as displacement.
You are correct that displacement would be zero but for this problem i don't think you'd have to show anything other than state that its zero.

You are correct that displacement would be zero but for this problem i don't think you'd have to show anything other than state that its zero.
Mmm alright i'll have to ask my prof on wed. because it wants a forumla..mabey im supposed to just figure that out or something.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There isn't really an equation you can give. You're just using your knowledge that the track starts and ends at the same point.