1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Motion Problem - Distance

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A Car Completes two laps of a 2.2 km racetrack is 98 seconds Find:
    A.) The Cars distance travelled (in km).

2. Relevant equations+3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that you have to multiply 2.2km by 2 laps but for my homework i have to show a formula and complete a full answer
    (what am i given)
    [something] = 2 [meaning laps]
    [something] = 2.2 km
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]d = ?

(required formula)
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]d = [something]*[something]
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]d = 2 * 2.2
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]d = 4.4 km

(therefore statement)
    [therefore] the distance travelled by the runner would be 4.4 km

I know what 2*2.2 is im not stupid but i don't know the correct formula to use and i don't know what symbols to fill in where the [somethings] are. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Strange question. There is no particular formula other than the distance is equal to the no. of laps multiplied by the distance per lap.

4. Mar 24, 2008 #3
    Also if asked for the displacement of the object, it would be 0 due to the circular track you would end where you started correct? Is there a formula for displacement using the given information or what should i show to get 0 as displacement.

5. Mar 24, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are correct that displacement would be zero but for this problem i don't think you'd have to show anything other than state that its zero.

6. Mar 24, 2008 #5
    Mmm alright i'll have to ask my prof on wed. because it wants a forumla..mabey im supposed to just figure that out or something.

7. Mar 24, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There isn't really an equation you can give. You're just using your knowledge that the track starts and ends at the same point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?