How Does a Car Overtake a Truck After a Traffic Light Turns Green?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
CHARG3RS
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


As a traffic light turns green, a waiting car starts with a constant acceleration of 6.0 m/s^2. At the instant the car begins to accelerate, a truck with a constant velocity of 21 m/s passes in the next lane.

a) How far will the car travel before it overtakes the truck?
b) How fast will the car be traveling when it overtakes the truck?

Homework Equations


a=Vf-Vi/DeltaT
deltad=1/2(Vi+Vf)deltat
deltad=Vi x deltat + 1/2a(deltat)^2
deltad=Vf x deltat - 1/2a(deltat)^2
Vf^2=Vi^2+2a deltad

The Attempt at a Solution



car
Vi = 0 m/s
a = 6.0 m/s^2
Delta d = ?

truck
Vi = 21 m/s
Vf = 21 m/s
a = 0 m/s^2

I can only see these variables in the question, and I don't know what formula to use. Could someone point me in a direction please? I'm really stressing over this, I've tried multiple times.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello CHARG3RS,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
CHARG3RS said:
I can only see these variables in the question, and I don't know what formula to use. Could someone point me in a direction please? I'm really stressing over this, I've tried multiple times.
Okay, you've tried multiple times. Show us your attempt and tell us where you are getting stuck, and maybe we can help.