How Does a Car Overtake a Truck After a Traffic Light Turns Green?

In summary, the question asks for the distance and speed of a car as it overtakes a truck with a constant velocity of 21 m/s. The car has a constant acceleration of 6.0 m/s^2. Using the equations a=Vf-Vi/DeltaT and deltad=1/2(Vi+Vf)deltat, we can solve for the distance the car travels before overtaking the truck. Using the equation Vf^2=Vi^2+2a deltad, we can solve for the speed of the car when it overtakes the truck. If you are stuck, try plugging in the given values and solving for the unknown variables.
CHARG3RS

Homework Statement

As a traffic light turns green, a waiting car starts with a constant acceleration of 6.0 m/s^2. At the instant the car begins to accelerate, a truck with a constant velocity of 21 m/s passes in the next lane.

a) How far will the car travel before it overtakes the truck?
b) How fast will the car be traveling when it overtakes the truck?

Homework Equations

a=Vf-Vi/DeltaT
deltad=1/2(Vi+Vf)deltat
deltad=Vi x deltat + 1/2a(deltat)^2
deltad=Vf x deltat - 1/2a(deltat)^2
Vf^2=Vi^2+2a deltad

The Attempt at a Solution

car
Vi = 0 m/s
a = 6.0 m/s^2
Delta d = ?

truck
Vi = 21 m/s
Vf = 21 m/s
a = 0 m/s^2

I can only see these variables in the question, and I don't know what formula to use. Could someone point me in a direction please? I'm really stressing over this, I've tried multiple times.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello CHARG3RS,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
CHARG3RS said:
I can only see these variables in the question, and I don't know what formula to use. Could someone point me in a direction please? I'm really stressing over this, I've tried multiple times.
Okay, you've tried multiple times. Show us your attempt and tell us where you are getting stuck, and maybe we can help.

Related to How Does a Car Overtake a Truck After a Traffic Light Turns Green?

1. What is Kinematics Vehicle Overtaking?

Kinematics Vehicle Overtaking is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of vehicles as they overtake one another on the road. It involves analyzing the positions, velocities, and accelerations of the vehicles to determine the optimal time and distance for overtaking.

2. How is Kinematics Vehicle Overtaking related to road safety?

Kinematics Vehicle Overtaking is important for road safety because it helps drivers make informed decisions when overtaking other vehicles. By understanding the kinematics of overtaking, drivers can determine the safest and most efficient way to pass another vehicle on the road.

3. What factors affect the kinematics of overtaking?

The kinematics of overtaking are affected by several factors, including the speed of the vehicles, the distance between them, and the acceleration and deceleration capabilities of the vehicles. Other factors such as road conditions, weather, and driver behavior can also play a role in the kinematics of overtaking.

4. How can I calculate the optimal time and distance for overtaking?

The optimal time and distance for overtaking can be calculated using the equations of kinematics, which involve variables such as initial and final velocities, acceleration, and time. These equations can be solved using algebra or with the help of calculators or computer programs.

5. Is it safe to overtake on a curved road?

Overtaking on a curved road can be more dangerous than on a straight road due to limited visibility and the possibility of losing control of the vehicle. It is important to consider the curvature of the road and the speed of both vehicles when deciding whether it is safe to overtake on a curve.