Easy problem dealing with tension and mass of an object.

In summary, for a box on a frictionless ramp held at rest by a tension force, with a mass of 20kg, the value of the tension force can be found by calculating the force of gravity (196N), using the cosine of the angle of the ramp (0.866), and dividing the force of gravity by the cosine value (226N). However, when the angle of the ramp is 0 degrees, the tension force needed to keep the mass in place would be 98N. Additionally, the normal force is equal to a component of the force of gravity.
epicwinning97

Homework Statement

The box on the frictionless ramp is held at rest by the tension force. The mass of the box is 20kg. What is the value of the tension force?

Homework Equations

sine=opp/hyp cosine=adj/hyp F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Did 20*9.8 to get the force of gravity on the object (196N). Then I took the cosine of 30 and got .866. I then divided 196 by this and got 226N for the hypotenuse. Is this correct? Thanks!
DIAGRAM:http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/6927/diagramu.png

EDIT: So, the Newtons needed to hold it when the slope is 0 would be 196. I also found the Newtons for it at 89 degrees, which was about 11,000. So, according to my math, the tension force is 226N. Now I just need to find the normal force. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

epicwinning97 said:

Homework Statement

The box on the frictionless ramp is held at rest by the tension force. The mass of the box is 20kg. What is the value of the tension force?

Homework Equations

sine=opp/hyp cosine=adj/hyp F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Did 20*9.8 to get the force of gravity on the object (196N). Then I took the cosine of 30 and got .866. I then divided 196 by this and got 226N for the hypotenuse. Is this correct? Thanks!
DIAGRAM:http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/6927/diagramu.png

Each of those calculations is correct, but now you have to relate them to the question.

EDIT: if the angle of the slope was 0o what value would you get from your calculations, and what tension would be needed to keep the mass in place?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm... I did the same problem and got 98 N for tension. Remember that the direction of normal force is perpendicular to surface, and it isn't antiparallel to the force of gravity. You have to find the components of the force of gravity, too.
Add all components and set it equal to zero, since it is at rest.

The normal force is equal to a component of the force of gravity. (Try to find out which one:))

I would first commend you for using the appropriate equations and attempting to solve the problem. However, I do have a few suggestions for improvement.

Firstly, it would be helpful to label your diagram with the appropriate variables (e.g. F for force, m for mass, θ for angle) to clearly show what each value represents. This will make it easier to follow your calculations.

Secondly, your approach to finding the tension force is correct, but your calculations are not entirely accurate. The tension force should be equal to the force of gravity on the object, which is 196N, as you correctly calculated. However, your calculation for the hypotenuse is incorrect. The hypotenuse should be equal to the weight of the object (196N) divided by the cosine of the angle (0.866), which gives a value of 226.23N. This means that the tension force is also 226.23N, not just 226N.

As for finding the normal force, you can use the equation F = ma to calculate it. Since the object is at rest, the net force on it must be zero. This means that the normal force must be equal in magnitude to the force of gravity (196N), but in the opposite direction. So the normal force is also 196N.

In conclusion, the tension force is 226.23N and the normal force is 196N. I hope this helps and keep up the good work in solving scientific problems!

1. What is tension in an object?

Tension in an object is the force that is transmitted through a string, cable, rope, or any other type of flexible material when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends.

2. How do you calculate tension?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = F * cos(θ), where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the object, and θ is the angle between the direction of the force and the direction of the object.

3. How does mass affect tension in an object?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater the tension required to move or support it. This is because the weight of the object increases with its mass, and tension is the force that counteracts the weight of the object.

4. How does tension affect the motion of an object?

Tension can cause an object to accelerate or decelerate depending on the direction of the force. If the force applied through tension is in the same direction as the motion of the object, it will accelerate. If the force is in the opposite direction, it will decelerate the object.

5. How can tension in an object be managed?

Tension in an object can be managed by adjusting the force applied or by using materials with different properties. For example, using a thicker and stronger rope can increase the tension that it can withstand without breaking.