1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Question, but giving me trouble

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The press box at a baseball park is 38 feet above the ground. A reporter in the press box looks at an angle of 15 degrees below the horizontal to see second base. What is the distance form the press box to second base?

2. Relevant equations

sin = opp / hyp

3. The attempt at a solution

I am trying 38ft / sin15 and I am getting 146 ft. I know the answer is 142 ft. Or atleast that is what my book tells me the answer should be. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not drawing a diagram before reaching for the calculator ?

4. Jun 19, 2009 #3
    Ha! Ok, you got me there. So, I just wrote down the diagram and I still can't figure it out. So what do I need to do to solve this problem.

5. Jun 19, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you have a triangle
    The angle between the horizontal and the hypotonuse is 15deg
    The vertical side opposite is 38" high

Is the question asking for the horizontal distance - rather than the slope distance?
    Which trig function links opposite/adjacent

6. Jun 19, 2009 #5
    Yeah, it's asking for horizontal distance and I was trying to find slope distance. Tangent is opp / adj and........ my answer is 142 ft. Thanks a lot. I guess they don't give you the 2008 PF Award for nothing huh? Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook