Easy question but I get a crazy answer

• Thread starter sai2020
  • Start date
In summary, Mercury has a thermal expansion coefficient (volume) of about 1/5500 perKelvin. Estimate the inner diameter of the thermometer tube.
sai2020
The question is

Mercury has a thermal expansion coefficient (volume) of about 1/5500 perKelvin. Estimate the inner diameter of the thermometer tube.

Here's my attempt.

L [tex]\approx[/tex] 30cm
V = 2*pi*r^2*L
Change in volume at 0 C and 110 C approximately equal to V

=> 110/5500 = r^2(3*pi/5)
=> r = sqrt(1/30*pi) [tex]\approx[/tex] 0.10m

I am well known to make crazy errors but I can't find out where that is over here

Physics news on Phys.org
Theres not enough information to determine an actual value for the diameter. You give no initial volume (Vo) and I don't know if you need to consider the expanding glass container as well. Given the assumptions that the volume at 0 C is unknown and the expansion of glass is negligible, I got a solution of

d = 0.2899*sqrt(Vo)

Just a few tips to help you on your way;
Recheck how you determine the volume of a cylinder.
Where does (3*pi/5) come from?
What are your justifications for those assumptions in the problem? There's insufficient data to complete it with the question you provided.
Make sure you don't fluke up on units.
Remember that 100 cm^2 =/= 1 m^2. 100^2 cm^2 = 1 m^2

Another clue: the point of a decent thermometer is to provide sufficient changes in length to read (say) a quarter-degree change in temperature.

Cvan said:
Just a few tips to help you on your way;
Where does (3*pi/5) come from?

It comes from

L = 30*10^-2 = 0.3m
V = r^2(2*pi*L) = r^2(3*pi/5)

Topher925 said:
Theres not enough information to determine an actual value for the diameter. You give no initial volume (Vo) and I don't know if you need to consider the expanding glass container as well. Given the assumptions that the volume at 0 C is unknown and the expansion of glass is negligible, I got a solution of

d = 0.2899*sqrt(Vo)

The *Hint* says the initial volume is 1mm^3. and I think the glass expansion can be neglected cos this is an introductory thermal course and this is the first tutorial.

Can you please tell me how you got to that.

Last edited:
*I made a mistake in my first post, that should be the radius, r not the diameter, d

I just used the equation

dV = B*dT*Vo

where:
dV = change in volume (0.03 x pi x r^2)
B = expansion coefficient (18x10^-5/C)
dT = change in temp (110C)
Vo = initial volume (1mm^3)

Plug all that in and solve for r and you get r = 0.2899*sqrt(Vo).

OH! My definition of B was wrong.. Thanks a lot..

1. What is an "easy question but I get a crazy answer"?

An "easy question but I get a crazy answer" refers to a simple or straightforward question that, for some reason, elicits an unexpected or unconventional response.

2. Why do some questions have crazy answers?

There can be many reasons for this. It could be due to misinterpretation of the question, a lack of understanding or knowledge on the part of the person answering, or intentionally trying to be funny or provocative.

3. How do you respond to a crazy answer?

It depends on the situation and the context. If the answer is clearly incorrect or irrelevant, it's best to politely correct or clarify the question. If the answer is meant to be humorous, you can respond with a joke or a laugh. If the answer is intentionally provocative, it's best to calmly and respectfully address the issue at hand.

4. Is there any value in asking "easy questions but getting crazy answers"?

Yes, there can be value in asking these types of questions. They can lead to creative or out-of-the-box thinking, and they can also reveal underlying assumptions or biases that may not have been apparent before.

5. How can I avoid getting crazy answers to my questions?

To avoid getting crazy answers, make sure your questions are clear, specific, and relevant to the topic at hand. It can also be helpful to provide some context or background information to ensure that the person answering understands the question correctly. Additionally, try to create a comfortable and respectful environment for open and honest communication.