Easy series divergence/convergence problem

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the problem is asking for the convergence/divergence of the series \sum_{x=1}^{\infty}\left({e^{{x}^{-1}}}-1\right). The attempt at a solution involves using the Taylor expansion of e^x to rewrite the series as 1 + \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{2!*x^2} + \frac{1}{3!*x^3} + ... and then using the integral test to evaluate the series. The conclusion is that the integral (and therefore the series) is divergent, based on the fact that the terms are greater than the terms of the harmonic series. Another method of reasoning, using the
Simfish
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty}\left({e^{{x}^{-1}}}-1\right)[/tex]

Test for convergence/divergence

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the Taylor expansion of e^x, we have...

[tex]1+ \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{2!*x^2} + \frac{1}{3!*x^3} + ...[/tex]

So as n -> infinity, we see that the function tends to [tex]1+ \frac{1}{x}[/tex]. Now we subtract 1 from this. So apparently the sum seems to act as according to the harmonic series, so it should be divergent. Is my reasoning correct? I tried solving it on maple, which refused to give a solution (perhaps since it was divergent).

Physics news on Phys.org
Using your nice Taylor Series expansion, just minus the 1 off that and we have:

[tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{2!x^2}+ {\frac{1}{3!x^3}..\right)[/tex].

Now just use the integral test, which states that [tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty} f(x)[/tex] and [tex]\int^{\infty}_1 f(x)[/tex] converge together or diverge together if f(x) is continuous in the interval, positive and decreasing.

So the integral is evaluated as such:
[tex] \log_e x - \frac{1}{1\cdot 2!\cdot x} - \frac{1}{2\cdot 3! \cdot x^2} - \frac{1}{ 3\cdot 4! \cdot x^3} ...\bigg|_{1}^{\infty}[/tex].

We can see that as x goes to infinity, all terms other than the log go to zero, whilst the log diverges.

Hence the integral diverges, and so does your series.

I'm not too sure about your previous reasoning, it seems a little disputable.

Last edited:
Ah yes, interesting test. My reasoning lies along the lines of...

[tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{2!x^2}+ {\frac{1}{3!x^3}..\right) > \sum_{x=1}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{x}\right)[/tex]. So since the harmonic series is divergent, and our series here is greater than the harmonic series for all positive x, our series is divergent by the limit comparison test.

Is the integral test usually preferable to other tests if you can get the terms integrated? (since clearly you'd have to assume more in the comparison tests).

Well actually no, maybe it was something about the way I read it in your first post, but re written in your last one, your chain of reasoning is perfectly fine :)

I only use the integral test when I know that I can integrate the terms and if f(x) is continuous in the interval, positive and decreasing. It comes in handy more often than you would think actually. But it doesn't matter, usually there's a few ways to do these kinda questions.

1. What is the definition of series divergence and convergence?

Series divergence and convergence refer to the behavior of an infinite sequence of numbers in a mathematical series. A series is considered divergent if the sequence of numbers in the series does not approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, a series is considered convergent if the sequence of numbers approaches a specific value as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a series is convergent or divergent, you can use mathematical tests such as the Ratio Test, the Root Test, or the Integral Test. These tests analyze the behavior of the series to determine if it approaches a finite value or not. If the series passes one of these tests, it is considered convergent. If it fails, it is considered divergent.

3. What is the significance of series divergence and convergence in mathematics?

Series divergence and convergence are important concepts in mathematics because they help us understand the behavior of infinite sequences and their limits. This knowledge is essential in many fields, such as calculus, physics, and engineering, where infinite series are commonly used to model real-world phenomena.

4. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. It can only be one or the other. If a series passes the tests for convergence, it is considered convergent, and if it fails, it is considered divergent. However, some series may be neither convergent nor divergent, and in these cases, we say that the series is indeterminate.

5. How does the rate of convergence affect the behavior of a series?

The rate of convergence refers to how quickly a series approaches its limit. A series with a faster rate of convergence will reach its limit faster than a series with a slower rate of convergence. In general, a faster rate of convergence is desirable because it means the series is approaching its limit more quickly and with fewer terms. However, it is not the only factor that determines the behavior of a series, as other factors such as the starting value and the pattern of the series can also play a role.