Easy trig prob what did I do wrong?

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of degrees subtended by an arc whose length is 357 times the radius of a circle. The solution involves converting radians to degrees and results in an answer of 20.45 degrees. However, there is some confusion about the original problem and the accuracy of the solution.
Miike012

Homework Statement

Find number of deg. subtendedat the center of a circle by an arc whose length is 357 times the radius,taking pi = 3.1416...

The Attempt at a Solution

The arc length is... 357(r)
The radius length is r

One revolution = 2r(pi) = arc lenght.

Now I will solve...
2r(pi)x = 357(r)
x = 357/2(pi)

(360 deg = 2r(pi))(357/2(pi))

357(r) = 20454.5 deg.

In the back of the book it says...20.4545

As you can see I am off a couple decimals... what happend?

Physics news on Phys.org
The book failed, that's what happened.

20o is tiny. It's obviously wrong :wink:

So are you saying I am correct?

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying.

By the way, just remember that [tex]\pi \equiv 180^o[/tex] so [tex]357 = 357\cdot\frac{\pi}{\pi} = 357\cdot \frac{180^o}{\pi}=20454^o[/tex]

It looks like you took the arc and mult by a rad and that gave you deg?
I thought you could only take rad and convert it to deg.

What does the triple line between the pi and 180 sign mean?

The entire circumference is only [itex]2\pi= 6.18... [/itex] times the radius so an arc that is "357 times the radius" is far more than a single entire circle. Since the idea of an arc looping back on itself is peculiar, I suspect that the problem should have been to "find an angle so that the are is 0.357 times the radius". That would give
[tex]\frac{\theta}{180}= \frac{0.357}{\pi}[/tex]
so that [itex]\theta= 20.45[/itex] degrees.

HallsofIvy said:
The entire circumference is only [itex]2\pi= 6.18... [/itex] times the radius so an arc that is "357 times the radius" is far more than a single entire circle. Since the idea of an arc looping back on itself is peculiar, I suspect that the problem should have been to "find an angle so that the are is 0.357 times the radius". That would give
[tex]\frac{\theta}{180}= \frac{0.357}{\pi}[/tex]
so that [itex]\theta= 20.45[/itex] degrees.
Oh right, that might certainly be what it was looking for. I guess I misinterpreted the question just like the OP did.

Miike012 said:
What does the triple line between the pi and 180 sign mean?
It means they're equivalent. Just think of it as equals for the moment because it doesn't have many big differences.

Miike012 said:
It looks like you took the arc and mult by a rad and that gave you deg?
I thought you could only take rad and convert it to deg.
The arc is measures in radians and you can convert between radians and degrees freely.

1. What is the easiest way to solve a trigonometry problem?

The easiest way to solve a trigonometry problem is to first identify which trigonometric function (sine, cosine, tangent) is involved and then use the appropriate formula to find the missing value.

2. Why did I get a different answer than the one provided in the textbook?

There could be multiple reasons for this. It is possible that you made a calculation error, used the wrong formula, or the textbook answer is incorrect. It is always a good idea to double check your work and consult with your teacher or peers if you are unsure.

3. How can I check if my answer is correct?

You can check if your answer is correct by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also use online calculators or ask for feedback from your teacher or peers.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a trigonometry problem?

If you are stuck on a trigonometry problem, try breaking it down into smaller steps, drawing a diagram, or using a different approach. You can also seek help from your teacher or peers, or refer to online resources for additional practice problems and explanations.

5. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry?

The best way to improve your understanding of trigonometry is through practice. Make sure to understand the basic concepts and formulas, and then practice solving a variety of problems. You can also refer to textbooks, online resources, or get help from a tutor or teacher if needed.