1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Echelon form and set of solutions.

1. Nov 12, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I have the following system of linear equations -

kx + 3y -z = 1
    x + 2y - z = 2
    -kx + y + 2z = -1

I have reduced it to

1 2 -1 : 2
    0 1 1/4 : 0
    0 0 (7-6k)/7k : (8-4k)/7

assuming k ≠ 0.

I would now like to be able to determine for what values of k will the system have no solutions, a single solution, and an infinite number of solutions.

Would it be correct to say that there would be no solution for k=7/6, and a single solution for every k ≠ 7/6 (therefore, the system will never have an infinite number of solutions)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sounds correct to me.

4. Nov 12, 2012 #3
    What about k different than 0? I had to divide by k whilst reducing the matrix. How come it when k=0 the system still yields a solution? Is it possible that the system will never have an infinite number of solutions? (seems like something is amiss with my reduced matrix/method)

5. Nov 12, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure you divided by k. You still have a k in the denominator. But you can get rid of it by multiplying the last row by k. If you really want to you can also put k=0 in the original matrix and check there is no problem. To get an infinite number of solutions you need a row of zeros. Can't happen here.

6. Nov 12, 2012 #5
    But what if I didn't perform the row operations properly? I went over them and yet mistakes are always possible. May you please confirm that I got it aright? I mean, that my reduced form is indeed the reduced form of that matrix?

7. Nov 12, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's more than one reduced form, you can do it a number of different ways. But my way also showed no solutions for k=7/6.

8. Nov 12, 2012 #7
    Thank you very much, Dick

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook