Economics and Foreign Language Advice

In summary, if you want a nice compliment to your major, I would recommend learning either German or French. If you want more flexibility, Latin or Chinese may be a better choice. If you want to focus on a certain region, Russian or Chinese may be a better choice.
rangerrand
I'm an economics major. I am trying to decide what foreign language I should take next year. I am already fluent in Spanish, and I would like my language choice to be a nice complement to my major.

I'm not really sure what I want to do in terms of a career. I'm studying abroad in Africa (specifically Cape Town), so I might become interested in political and economic development in that region...but who knows...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rangerrand

Physics news on Phys.org
Dutch? On the grounds that I don't think that's widely taught in U.S. universities, my second suggestion would be German. Third would be French. I think German would be more important to economists in general, and French to economists in Africa.

Looking at political&economical developments Russian or Chinese may come handy in future.

rangerrand said:
I'm an economics major. I am trying to decide what foreign language I should take next year. I am already fluent in Spanish, and I would like my language choice to be a nice complement to my major.

I'm not really sure what I want to do in terms of a career. I'm studying abroad in Africa (specifically Cape Town), so I might become interested in political and economic development in that region...but who knows...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rangerrand

If you want to learn a local language to use in south africa (cape town is in SA and i was born and raised in johannesburg), I would suggest Xhosa, Zulu or Afrikaans. Those are three of the 11 official languages that we have in SA. English, being one of those too. These 4 are the ones that will get you the furthest in SA. I'm guessing they don't teach any of those languages in the US or have probably not even heard of them, but you might be able to pick one up in your studies.

I learned dutch (flemish for the politically correct) because I moved to Belgium, but I don't think Dutch is a top prority language to learn, even if you live in the netherlands or belgium. They almost all speak fluent english in any case. Flemish is closely related to afrikaans and will give you a good understanding of the the written word and a little converstaional skill, this might be useful in SA.

I learned german in my time in germany and find it very useful. Seeing that dutch and english are germanic in origin you start to see some similarities and learning is easier. German is great for engineering, in my experience. There are also quite a few germans in Cape Town (wine farmers and tourists)

I am learning french, mainly because it is the second language in belgium, and let's be honest, the chicks dig it :wink: I think french will help you more in north africa where it is commonly spoken, a lot of the other african countries speaking portuguese. I seem to remember reading somewhere that french was the language of diplomacy, but that might be an old adage.

Latin is good for law apparently.

I agree with Borek, at least on the chinese (mandarin probably) side. China is expanding massively and is the next big economic powerhouse. Also, a large percentage of the world's population is chinese (and they just started letting everyone in China have 2 children, so expect more soon!)

what about sign language? i always wanted to learn that.

redargon said:
Latin is good for law apparently.
I thought Latin was dead as a working language. I don't see much use for it, except perhaps to impress peers of your mastery with Latin insults.

German would be pretty good if you wanted to study economic history.

And they are the 3rd(I think?) largest economy.

But if your fluent in spanish, french or italian would be a lot easier for you.

Defennder said:
I thought Latin was dead as a working language. I don't see much use for it, except perhaps to impress peers of your mastery with Latin insults.

True, true.

Si vis rideo, narro quispiam hilaris. :smile:

What is the importance of studying economics?

Economics is the study of how individuals, businesses, and governments make decisions about allocating resources. It is important because it helps us understand how the world works and how different policies and actions can affect our daily lives, as well as the global economy.

What is the relationship between economics and foreign language?

The relationship between economics and foreign language is significant because it allows individuals to expand their opportunities and potential in the global economy. Knowing a foreign language can open up job opportunities and facilitate international trade and communication, which can have a positive impact on the economy.

How can learning a foreign language help with understanding economics?

Learning a foreign language can help with understanding economics as it allows individuals to access a wider range of economic data and resources. It also enables individuals to understand the cultural and social contexts of different economies, which can provide insights into economic decisions and policies.

What are some potential career paths for someone with a background in economics and foreign language?

Some potential career paths for someone with a background in economics and foreign language include working for international organizations, such as the World Bank or the United Nations, as well as multinational corporations that operate in different countries. Other options include working in government agencies, consulting firms, or pursuing a career in academia.

Are there any specific countries or regions where knowledge of economics and a foreign language would be particularly beneficial?

Yes, there are several countries and regions where knowledge of economics and a foreign language would be particularly beneficial. These include emerging economies, such as China, Brazil, and India, as well as regions with strong international trade and investment, such as Europe and Asia. Additionally, countries with a high demand for bilingual professionals, such as the United States, also offer opportunities for individuals with a background in economics and a foreign language.