1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Eddy current losses - solid/laminated cores!

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [PLAIN]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/224/92898534.jpg [Broken]
    The figures show two types of magnetic cores that lie along the z-axis. The solid core has length L, radius a, and conductivity σ. Laminated core has N filametary cylinders each with length L and conductivity σ. If B = Bocosωt az is directed upward and the filamentary cylinders fill 90% volume of solid core, find:
    a.) the average eddy-current power loss in the solid core
    b.) the average eddy-current power loss in each of the filamentary cores.
    c.) the average eddy-current power loss in the total laminated core.

Assume the B-field is uniform throughout both solid and laminated cores.

2. Relevant equations
    This is the problem, I don't know what formulas I should be using!

3. The attempt at a solution
    Just an attempt, this is probably way off. It I attempt to find J within the cylinder, than J = σE. I know that ∇xE = -d(B)/dt. This way I can solve E, and plug it into the formula I have started with, giving me J. What would I do from here though!? Is this even the right way?! Please help! I appreciate all help in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the first core, you need to know the skin depth. Have you covered that in class yet?

4. May 2, 2010 #3
    no, we have not.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook