Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EDTA Titration of an antacid tablet

1. Oct 31, 2016 #1
    In my analytical chemistry lab course my lab partner and I are trying to determine the percent calcium by mass of an antacid tablet by EDTA (mixed with 0.001M MgCl2) titration using an EBT inidcator.
    We have ran into a problem which is we've got poor results which we refuse to accept. Long story short we calculated the percent calcium to be 30% higher than it actually is.
    We think the magnesium in the antacid tablet is throwing things off. Since the endpoint we observe through color change is cause by magnesium replacing the calcium bound to the EBT the color change wont occur exactly when all of the calcium is titrated by the EDTA. Basically we think the magnesium in the tablet is causing the sample to 'titrate itself,' for lack of a better term.

We know how much magnesium and calcium actually is in the tablet so if that assumption is true is there a way we can factor that in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is the procedure you use? In general, in the presence of Mg2+ the best approach is to keep the pH high enough to precipitate the Mg(OH)2.

4. Oct 31, 2016 #3
    The antacid was dissolved in water at pH 10 in an ammonia-ammonium buffer solution. I can post the whole procedure if you'd like.

5. Oct 31, 2016 #4

Borek

In pH 10 you determine sum of Mg/Ca. For just calcium you need pH of 12.

6. Oct 31, 2016 #5
    Oh that changes things significantly. In the chart my professor gave us it says a pH of 8 is needed to bind calcium and 10 is needed for magnesium. So that must mean that the moles of EDTA I calculated from each of the volumes is equal to the number of moles of calcium AND magnesium?

Second dumb question: Is there a way to find moles of just calcium from that?

Thanks!

7. Oct 31, 2016 #6

Borek

Yes.

No.

8. Oct 31, 2016 #7
    Can you show me how or where you found that you need a pH of 12 to only complex calcium?
    Is it a solubility issue?

9. Oct 31, 2016 #8

Borek

See my post #2 in the thread.

And compare http://www.titrations.info/EDTA-titration-calcium

The information is from an analytical chemistry book by Minczewski & Marczenko, I doubt it was translated into English. But it is so basic thing every serious analytical chemistry book should have it.

10. Oct 31, 2016 #9
    The procedure we were given to titrate calcium is the same as the procedure for titrating magnesium on that website so it was a flawed procedure from the beginning.

You've been immensely helpful. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted