Educate me please, I have to find initial velocity

In summary, the projectile reached the ground in 3.7870 m after being launched upwards from a table at a higher elevation.
exparrot
I'm doing a physics lab write-up. It was a projectile lab launching the projectile horizontally. The projectile was launched at a higher elevation (the table) down to the ground.

Homework Statement

Calculate how fast the projectile came out of the launcher. Use the data obtained.

Well, my only data is the distance traveled by the projectile which is 3.7870 m.

Homework Equations

R = √(Rg)/(sin 2θ) ---> since measuring time was not part of the lab, this is the only other equation with no extra unknown variables

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know how!

How can I solve this given that I only know my distance? I don't know my initial velocity (which I have to find), don't know my final velocity (hesitant to say it's 0 m/s) and my acceleration? I don't think the gravitational acceleration is information integral to this situation since it's horizontally launched. Would supremely appreciate any help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
exparrot said:
I'm doing a physics lab write-up. It was a projectile lab launching the projectile horizontally. The projectile was launched at a higher elevation (the table) down to the ground.

[...]

How can I solve this given that I only know my distance? I don't know my initial velocity (which I have to find), don't know my final velocity (hesitant to say it's 0 m/s) and my acceleration? I don't think the gravitational acceleration is information integral to this situation since it's horizontally launched. Would supremely appreciate any help, thanks!

How high was the table? If you didn't measure this, you can't get the result. Just knowing the distance, as you observe, is not going to be enough.

Cheers -- sylas

sylas said:
How high was the table? If you didn't measure this, you can't get the result. Just knowing the distance, as you observe, is not going to be enough.

Cheers -- sylas

0.775 m

what do R and √(Rg) stand for?

ps. the final velocity of a projectile will never be zero, drill that into your mind

drizzle said:
what do R and √(Rg) stand for?

ps. the final velocity of a projectile will never be zero, drill that into your mind

R is the range/distance and g is acceleration due to gravity. The original equation was this:

R = [(v0^2)(sin 2θ)]/g

where v0 is the initial velocity. I can't do subscripts here, not sure if I can...

exparrot said:
0.775 m
That now gives you enough to solve the problem. The next step is part 2: the relevant equations you are using. If you use variables, it will help to say what they represent; as drizzle has also noted.

There may be other equations you should consider...

PS. OK. That's better, but I think you may be using an equation for the range on a flat surface. I've checked; yes, this is not the equation you really want here.

To get subscripts and super scripts, use sub and sup tags.

For example.

input: [noparse]R = (v02 sin 2θ) / g[/noparse]
result: R = (v02 sin 2θ) / g

Last edited:
sylas said:
That now gives you enough to solve the problem. The next step is part 2: the relevant equations you are using. If you use variables, it will help to say what they represent; as drizzle has also noted.

There may be other equations you should consider...

I can use the kinematics equations, but my only problem is A) don't know the time as our prof didn't ask us to do that, B) do not know the initial or final velocity. That leaves me with a lot of unknown variables to work with. The speed I calculate in this question is suppose to help me solve subsequent questions.

exparrot said:
I can use the kinematics equations, but my only problem is A) don't know the time as our prof didn't ask us to do that, B) do not know the initial or final velocity. That leaves me with a lot of unknown variables to work with. The speed I calculate in this question is suppose to help me solve subsequent questions.

Here's a clue. If you launch something horizontally, it takes the same amount of time to reach the ground as if you just dropped it, because the acceleration downwards is still the same, and the initial velocity downwards is 0 in both cases.

edit: ops not for this one :)

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity, also known as initial speed, is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion. It is the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction at the start of its movement.

2. How do I calculate initial velocity?

To calculate initial velocity, you need to know the distance an object has traveled, the time it took to travel that distance, and the acceleration of the object. You can use the formula v = d/t, where v is the initial velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

3. Why is initial velocity important?

Initial velocity is important because it is a crucial factor in determining the motion of an object. It helps us understand the speed and direction at which an object is moving, which can be useful in predicting its future motion.

4. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative. This means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial motion. For example, if an object is thrown upwards, its initial velocity would be positive. But as it reaches the highest point and starts moving downwards, its initial velocity would become negative.

5. How does initial velocity affect an object's trajectory?

Initial velocity plays a significant role in determining the trajectory of an object. The direction and magnitude of the initial velocity will determine the path the object will follow. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer and higher trajectory, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter and lower trajectory.