1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Educational app for graphing position, velocity, and accel

1. Jul 26, 2015 #1

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought other physics teachers here might be interested in this browser-based educational application I wrote: http://www.lightandmatter.com/velocity/ . As you move the mouse up and down, it graphs its position, velocity, and acceleration. In the past I've had some classroom exercises that used this sort of thing, but I did them using ultrasound sensors. The ultrasound setup was flaky and time-consuming to set up during lecture, so I think this may work better. Here are a couple of sample activities:

task 1

Your goal is to produce an x-t graph that looks like a staircase going down and to the right.

Discuss with your group (a) how you would need to move the mouse in order to accomplish this, and (b) how the v-t graph would look.

Now try it, and compare with your prediction. If your prediction was wrong, discuss why.

task 2

Imagine -- but *don't do it yet* -- that you repeatedly wiggle the mouse up and down, doing it fast but smoothly. (You may actually find it physically smoother to move the mouse rapidly in a circle; the horizontal part of the motion will be ignored.)

As a group, predict what the x-t, v-t, and a-t graphs would look like, then test your prediction.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2015 #2
    Nice work Ben! Posted the link on the PF twitter page!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook