EE and CS bacground, No knowledge of mechanical sytem design,advice pls

In summary, a computer programmer with a background in computer science and electrical engineering is interested in designing systems that incorporate mechanical parts. However, they have no knowledge of mechanical system design and are seeking suggestions for free software tools to help build skills in this area. Some recommendations include reading books on Mechanics and Machine Design, and seeking the assistance of a mechanical engineer or machinist. It is also suggested to visit workshops and industries to see practical applications of concepts.
bineyame
Hi All,

I am a computer programmer who has studied computer science and electrical engineering .It is my desire to combine my programming skill and EE background to design systems that potentially constitute mechanical parts( controlled by circuit and firmware...) .The problem is ,I have no knowledge of mechanical system design and i feel that it is a huge drag in my attempt to learn to do systems design. Please suggest ways ,free software tools,... that can help me build skills in mechanical part of system design.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
bineyame said:
Hi All,

I am a computer programmer who has studied computer science and electrical engineering .It is my desire to combine my programming skill and EE background to design systems that potentially constitute mechanical parts( controlled by circuit and firmware...) .The problem is ,I have no knowledge of mechanical system design and i feel that it is a huge drag in my attempt to learn to do systems design. Please suggest ways ,free software tools,... that can help me build skills in mechanical part of system design.

Thanks

I suggest reading some books on Mechanics and then one on Machine Design. Although most EE's I know were required to take basic Statics and Dynamics courses in undergrad. If you did, then the Mechanics books might not be helpful but the Machine Design will.

CS

stewartcs said:
I suggest reading some books on Mechanics and then one on Machine Design. Although most EE's I know were required to take basic Statics and Dynamics courses in undergrad. If you did, then the Mechanics books might not be helpful but the Machine Design will.

CS

Thank you for your advice.Yes, i have taken statics and dynamics courses and I'm fairly comfortable in those areas. I'll read machine design books as you suggested and it will be great if there are software tools out there that i can get for free to complement my reading with simulation and CAD,any suggestion along that line?

bineyame said:
Thank you for your advice.Yes, i have taken statics and dynamics courses and I'm fairly comfortable in those areas. I'll read machine design books as you suggested and it will be great if there are software tools out there that i can get for free to complement my reading with simulation and CAD,any suggestion along that line?

I don't know of any free ones. Depending on the book, it may have some educational type software included that supplements your reading of the book.

CS

Don't attempt everything alone. I'd look to find a like minded ME and befriend a machinist or two. They haven't had time to forget what you won't have time to learn...

- Mike

Thank you for your great suggestion Mike ,I'll definitely try it! I'm also trying to arrange a visit to workshops and industries where i can see practical application of concepts...

1. What is the difference between an EE and CS background?

An EE (Electrical Engineering) background focuses on the study of electronics, electricity, and electromagnetism. CS (Computer Science) background, on the other hand, deals with the design and development of computer systems and software. While both fields involve technology and problem-solving skills, they have distinct areas of expertise.

2. Can I work in mechanical system design with an EE or CS background?

While an EE or CS background may not directly relate to mechanical system design, it can still be useful. Many principles and skills, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and programming, can be applied to various fields. With additional training and knowledge, it is possible to work in mechanical system design.

3. Should I pursue additional education or training if I have no knowledge of mechanical system design?

If you are interested in working in mechanical system design, it is recommended to pursue additional education or training in this field. This will give you a better understanding of the principles and techniques used in mechanical design and make you more competitive in the job market.

4. Can you provide any advice for someone with no knowledge of mechanical system design?

If you have no knowledge of mechanical system design, it is important to start by familiarizing yourself with basic concepts, such as mechanics, materials, and design principles. You can also consider taking courses or workshops in mechanical design to gain more knowledge and skills. Networking and seeking advice from professionals in the field can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any transferrable skills from an EE or CS background to mechanical system design?

Yes, there are many transferrable skills from an EE or CS background to mechanical system design. These include problem-solving, critical thinking, programming, and data analysis. These skills can be applied to various tasks in mechanical design, such as designing and testing systems, analyzing data, and troubleshooting issues.