Is Computer Engineering "inferior" to EE and CS?

In summary, computer engineering typically has stricter admissions requirements than electrical engineering, but the program is still very rigorous. It is a good choice for someone who is interested in both hardware and software engineering, or for someone who wants to specialize in one or the other.
ramzerimar
I've heard some people saying that Computer Engineering is not highly valued by employers because it typically doesn't delve too deep in electrical engineering essentials (at my college, CompE's takes Circuits classes, Digital Systems, some microcontroller classes, electromagnetics and basic electronics. EE's would have more classes on electronics, electric and magnetic materials, polyphasic circuits, power generation, etc...). Also, it lacks some advanced CS concepts (like Graphs and Automata Theory, Compilers, etc...).

So, what I've heard is that companies prefer to hire EE's to design the hardware part and CS's for the software part.

Is that true? Are Computer Engineers considered more of a "jack of all trades"? I ask because I'm very interested in the field, but some of the opinions concern me.

Physics news on Phys.org
My 2-3 years of industry work and job searching experience is in agreement of what you have heard.
It doesn't make that specialization "inferior" but their is higher chance of putting yourself in an awkward position in the job market.

Edit: forgot to add, if you are interested in computer engineering, you better make up your mind whether you prefer the hardware or the software component of it. When I thought of it back when I was studying, I always though designing IC will always be more interesting. When I actually had the chance to look at someone doing some design work with Cadence and the sorts, turned out it isn't my cup of tea and was glad I didn't go down that path.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker and ramzerimar
ramzerimar said:
I've heard some people saying that Computer Engineering is not highly valued by employers because it typically doesn't delve too deep in electrical engineering essentials (at my college, CompE's takes Circuits classes, Digital Systems, some microcontroller classes, electromagnetics and basic electronics. EE's would have more classes on electronics, electric and magnetic materials, polyphasic circuits, power generation, etc...). Also, it lacks some advanced CS concepts (like Graphs and Automata Theory, Compilers, etc...).

So, what I've heard is that companies prefer to hire EE's to design the hardware part and CS's for the software part.

Is that true? Are Computer Engineers considered more of a "jack of all trades"? I ask because I'm very interested in the field, but some of the opinions concern me.

Computer Engineering is a specialized form of Electrical Engineering, so EE is the more general one between the two but it's goals are also different from CE.

Likes ramzerimar
wukunlin said:
My 2-3 years of industry work and job searching experience is in agreement of what you have heard.
It doesn't make that specialization "inferior" but their is higher chance of putting yourself in an awkward position in the job market.

Edit: forgot to add, if you are interested in computer engineering, you better make up your mind whether you prefer the hardware or the software component of it. When I thought of it back when I was studying, I always though designing IC will always be more interesting. When I actually had the chance to look at someone doing some design work with Cadence and the sorts, turned out it isn't my cup of tea and was glad I didn't go down that path.
If I may ask, what do you work with now?

ramzerimar said:
If I may ask, what do you work with now?
I ended up doing electronics manufacturing. Having a mixture of background knowledge helped. Although the lack of rigor is making me consider switching...

In general, no. But in some schools, the computer engineering major may be dumbed down for students who can't handle EE.

Yeah, definitely take some time to look through the courses. Computer Engineer at my university was basically a mixture of EE and Software Engineering, combining these two into a single specialization sacrificed some breadth and depth

Dr. Courtney said:
In general, no. But in some schools, the computer engineering major may be dumbed down for students who can't handle EE.

That is surprising to read about, because in Canada, that is simply not the case. In actual fact, in most engineering schools (including at my alma mater), computer engineering tended to have stricter requirements than electrical engineering in terms of admissions.

I should also add that (at least in the case of my alma mater) the first 2 years of both programs are practically identical, with specialization taking place beginning in 3rd year. I believe the same is the case at the University of Waterloo, one of the leading schools for engineering in Canada (several of my friends pursued engineering degrees from there).

In the last company I worked for, 3 of the 4 people in the 2011-13 timeframe I hired had Computer Engineering degrees, they understood the interface between hardware and software much better than either pure EE or CS majors.

I am an electrical engineer who has been in industry for nearly 20 years, and in my experience computer engineering is not inferior or less rigorous at all. It is simply different. The most irreplaceable person on the last large project I was on was the computer engineer: none of the many software or electrical engineers had the skill set required to do his job. As in Dr Transport's case, it was the intimate understanding of the software/hardware interface that was crucial.

I have no idea about job markets, but the world is becoming more automated and computerized, so I would expect computer engineering to be a reasonable career path for someone interested in the field.

Likes MLINJA 2MS
Dr Transport said:
In the last company I worked for, 3 of the 4 people in the 2011-13 timeframe I hired had Computer Engineering degrees, they understood the interface between hardware and software much better than either pure EE or CS majors.
In your opinion, do you think this understanding is acquired from work or does the foundation have to be laid during their studies? Just curious[emoji4]

wukunlin said:
In your opinion, do you think this understanding is acquired from work or does the foundation have to be laid during their studies? Just curious[emoji4]

Both, with that these individuals were able to make immediate impacts on major computing systems faster than seasoned veterans.

Likes wukunlin
You should focus on enjoying your classes and enjoying your career path, rather than trying to figure out what employers want. If you enjoy your classes, you will generally become more valuable to an employer than somebody who despises the classes they had to take to get a degree. I chose CpE because I did not want to take classes like fields or power, for which I had zero interest in. I enjoyed every CpE class I took. You can always specialize in EE or CS by taking electives in those areas.

That being said, I think the CpE degree can be thought as more of a generalist type of degree than either EE or CS, but few employers are going to turn away a successful CpE grad who enjoys their classes.

Likes MLINJA 2MS

1. Is Computer Engineering considered inferior to Electrical Engineering and Computer Science?

No, Computer Engineering is not considered inferior to Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. It is a highly specialized field that combines elements of both electrical engineering and computer science to design and develop computer systems.

2. What is the main difference between Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering?

The main difference between Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering is that Computer Engineering focuses on the design and development of computer hardware and software systems, while Electrical Engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics.

3. Can someone with a degree in Computer Engineering work in both the hardware and software fields?

Yes, someone with a degree in Computer Engineering can work in both the hardware and software fields. The interdisciplinary nature of the field allows for a wide range of job opportunities in both areas.

4. Is Computer Engineering a more difficult major compared to Electrical Engineering and Computer Science?

The difficulty of the major depends on the individual's strengths and interests. Computer Engineering may be more challenging for someone with a stronger background in software, while Electrical Engineering may be more difficult for someone with a stronger background in hardware. Both fields require a strong foundation in math and problem-solving skills.

5. What career opportunities are available for Computer Engineering graduates?

Computer Engineering graduates have a variety of career opportunities in fields such as computer hardware and software design, computer networks, telecommunications, robotics, and more. They can also pursue careers in research and development, consulting, and project management.