EE Study Resources: Best Books for Electrical Engineering

In summary, electrical engineering is a very broad field that covers many different topics. It is important to focus on specific topics to study in order to best prepare for college and future career opportunities.
fernanhen
Hi everyone I just finished my first year of electrical engineering.

I am doing quite a few of self study for coming Calculus II and III, diff. equations, physics, and computer programming classes. I have all the resources I need for those.

However, I want to start studying the basics of electrical engineering now.

I want to focus my attention on circuits and systems, electronic circuits, microprocessors, electromagnetic fields, digital design, random signals and noise, and energy conversion.

I am interested in knowing what are the best books to study.

I know that MIT's and UC Berkeley's open course ware offers videos of lectures and other great resources.

But I also want regular books that can get me introduced on these topics. Rather something more simple and clear that I can study on my own.

I study at NJIT, New Jersey Institute of Technology, if anyone goes or went there by any chance..

I am not sure which field I want to specialize in but the topics I mentioned are part of the core curriculum for electrical engineers.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For EM, a very good but simple book is:

https://www.amazon.com/Electromagnetics-Engineers-Fawwaz-T-Ulaby/dp/0131497243/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342302814&sr=1-3&keywords=ulaby

It is used in San Jose State U. It is too simple for a real EM class, but it is a very good book for self study.

If you want more then

https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Electrodynamics-3rd-David-Griffiths/dp/013805326X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342302929&sr=1-1&keywords=griffiths+electrodynamics

And

https://www.amazon.com/Field-Wave-Electromagnetics-David-Cheng/dp/0201128195/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342302969&sr=1-1&keywords=field+and+wave+electromagnetics+cheng

Those are the books I studied and it will carry you all the way for undergrad and even good enough for the advanced EM class in U of Santa Clara for MS and PHD. This should at least give you a good foundation to enter the post grad program even for the best of all schools.

If you really want to get deep into EE, it is advisable to study PDE as Vector calculus and ODE is not quite enough for EM. This is particularly important if you plan to enroll in grad school.

What are the best books for electrical engineering?

Some of the best books for electrical engineering include "Principles of Electric Circuits" by Thomas Floyd, "Microelectronic Circuits" by Adel Sedra and Kenneth Smith, "Electric Machinery" by Fitzgerald, Kingsley, and Umans, "Power System Analysis and Design" by Glover, Sarma, and Overbye, and "Digital Signal Processing" by John Proakis and Dimitris Manolakis.

What are the most recommended study resources for electrical engineering?

In addition to books, some of the most recommended study resources for electrical engineering include online courses and tutorials, practice problems and past exams, study groups and peer tutoring, and attending lectures and workshops.

What are some tips for effectively using study resources for electrical engineering?

Some tips for effectively using study resources for electrical engineering include creating a study schedule and sticking to it, staying organized and taking notes, seeking help when needed, and actively engaging with the material rather than just passively reading or watching.

Are there any free resources available for studying electrical engineering?

Yes, there are many free resources available for studying electrical engineering, such as online lectures and tutorials, open access textbooks and journals, and educational YouTube channels and blogs. Additionally, many universities offer free online courses or materials through platforms like Coursera or edX.

How can I determine which study resources are best for my learning style?

One way to determine which study resources are best for your learning style is to try out different methods and see which ones work best for you. You can also ask for recommendations from peers, professors, or academic advisors, or take learning style assessments to gain insight into your preferred methods of learning.