Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of different atom on Compton Shift?

1. Nov 3, 2014 #1
    Hi guys long time no see,

I'm having a small difficulty here in understanding the process. Looking at the equation and the derivation of it, it seems clear that the shift in wavelength can only be caused by the target mass. If we are talking about electron being hit by x-ray, then I take it the choice of atom with which the free electron is bound should then have no effect on the shift.

Yet the practice note I have suggested otherwise. If the target is carbon the scattered wavelength decreases by ##\delta \lambda##, but when heavier element is used, such as gold, the scattered wavelength will increase. But this is impossible right? How can the scattered photon acquire energy greater than the original x-ray?

In general, should the atom used have any effect on the shift?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 8, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The wavelength should not decrease, and the scattering process should not depend so much on the material. How did you measure those values?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook