Effect of parachute on free fall?

In summary: This is why parachutes are effective in slowing down objects. In summary, Pihotar has a physics project due on Wednesday and has decided to investigate how a parachute affects free fall. They have found an air resistance formula and are struggling to understand the drag coefficient. They also plan to compare the air resistance of a free falling person with and without a parachute, and to determine the deceleration effect of a parachute on a drag racing car. The drag force can be calculated using the given formula and MKS units, with the result being a large number due to the relationship with velocity squared.
pihotar
I was told i have till wednesday to do a project on physics I've never done before in class, this being a regular high school physics class. So i decided to figure out how a parachute affects free fall and the calculations and stuff to show this.

So far I've found an Air Resistance formula that goes like this:
F-air=0.5pv(squared)AC(sub-d)V
I don't know how to type the squared sign so i wrote it in, and the C(sub-d) refers to the d being sort of like an exponent but below instead of above the letter.

Cd I've learned is called the drag coefficient, but to calculate that I've found several formulas that i cannot understand amongst the internet and i need help understanding the formula.

Also i was thinking of using the formula to determine the air resistance of a free falling man and the velocity and then comparing it to the same calculation with a parachute and seeing the difference in speed to where youd survive the fall. Do you think it would work?

Also also would i be able to find out the decelleration effect of a parachute on a drag racing car in any way?

Thank you for your time, Pihotar

Physics news on Phys.org
pihotar said:
I was told i have till wednesday to do a project on physics I've never done before in class, this being a regular high school physics class. So i decided to figure out how a parachute affects free fall and the calculations and stuff to show this.
It's a good idea for a project, but air resistance adds quite a bit of complexity so you may be cutting it close on time.

pihotar said:
So far I've found an Air Resistance formula that goes like this:
F-air=0.5pv(squared)AC(sub-d)V
I don't know how to type the squared sign so i wrote it in, and the C(sub-d) refers to the d being sort of like an exponent but below instead of above the letter.
I'm not sure why you have the V in there, but yes, drag is given by:
[tex]F_{drag} = C_D \frac{1}{2}\rho V^2 A[/tex]

Like you've said, [itex]C_D[/itex] is the coefficient of drag.
[itex]\rho[/itex] is the density of air
V is the velocity
A is the cross sectional area facing the air flow.

pihotar said:
Cd I've learned is called the drag coefficient, but to calculate that I've found several formulas that i cannot understand amongst the internet and i need help understanding the formula.

The drag coefficient is usually determined experimentally. You can probably find values for the drag coefficient for a parachute online. You could also do your own experiment with a small parachute to find the drag force, and then use the drag equation to find [itex]C_D[/itex].

pihotar said:
Also i was thinking of using the formula to determine the air resistance of a free falling man and the velocity and then comparing it to the same calculation with a parachute and seeing the difference in speed to where youd survive the fall. Do you think it would work?

You could do this. The difficulty you'll have here is that you'll need to solve a differential equation to find the speed. You'll probably have to solve it numerically with a spreadsheet or a programming language.

pihotar said:
Also also would i be able to find out the decelleration effect of a parachute on a drag racing car in any way?

Yes. If you can find the drag coefficient for the parachute and you know the speed of the racer, you can describe the dynamics of the car.

So say i have a velocity of 53 m/s, p = 1.22, Cd= 1.5, nd the area of my parachute is, i don't know 5 meters, th force of air resistance would be 12851.1? I don't know the unit of measure for it and i just want to make sure that my calculatio is right because thatrs a pretty huge number.

That calculation would be correct, yes. If you use MKS units, force is in Newtons, and you would need the air density in kg/m^3. The unit for area is m^2, by the way.

Since the drag force is a function of velocity squared, at high speeds the drag force becomes very large.

Last edited:

I am impressed by your curiosity and initiative to explore a physics topic that is new to you. The effect of a parachute on free fall is a fascinating subject with many real-world applications. I am happy to provide some guidance and clarification on the formulas and calculations you have found so far.

Firstly, the formula you have mentioned is the air resistance force formula, which takes into account the density of the air (p), the velocity (v), the cross-sectional area of the object (A), and the drag coefficient (Cd). This formula is used to calculate the force acting on an object due to air resistance, which can impact the speed and motion of the object.

The drag coefficient (Cd) is a dimensionless quantity that represents the shape and size of an object and how it interacts with the air. It is not a constant value and can vary depending on factors such as the object's shape, speed, and surface roughness. To calculate the drag coefficient, you will need to conduct experiments or use simulation software to measure the air resistance force and the other variables in the formula.

Your idea of comparing the air resistance of a free-falling person with and without a parachute is a good one. This can help you understand the impact of air resistance on the speed of a falling object and the effectiveness of a parachute in slowing down the fall. However, it is important to keep in mind that the drag coefficient for a person with a parachute will be different from a person without a parachute, due to the change in shape and size of the person with the parachute.

As for your question about determining the deceleration effect of a parachute on a drag racing car, the same principles apply. You will need to measure the air resistance force and other variables to calculate the deceleration. However, it may be more challenging to conduct such experiments with a fast-moving car, so you may need to rely on simulation software or existing data for this.

In conclusion, your project idea is a good one, and I encourage you to continue exploring the effects of a parachute on free fall. Remember to always double-check your calculations and seek help from your teacher or a physics expert if you have any doubts or questions. Good luck with your project!

1. How does a parachute affect free fall?

When a person or object is in free fall, they are accelerating towards the ground due to the force of gravity. A parachute works by creating air resistance, also known as drag, which counteracts the force of gravity and slows down the descent. This allows for a slower and safer landing.

2. What factors influence the effectiveness of a parachute during free fall?

The size and shape of the parachute, as well as the weight and surface area of the person or object using it, can greatly influence its effectiveness. Additionally, air density, wind speed, and the altitude of the free fall can also impact the performance of a parachute.

3. How does air resistance play a role in the effect of a parachute on free fall?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. In the case of a parachute, the larger surface area of the parachute creates more air resistance, which slows down the descent of the person or object. This allows for a gentler landing compared to free fall without a parachute.

4. Can a parachute completely eliminate the effects of free fall?

No, a parachute cannot completely eliminate the effects of free fall. The force of gravity will still be present, but the parachute can significantly reduce the speed of descent and allow for a safer landing.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when using a parachute during free fall?

It is important to consider the proper deployment of the parachute and the training and experience of the person using it. The timing and technique of opening the parachute can greatly affect its effectiveness and the safety of the descent. It is also crucial to have proper training and knowledge of emergency procedures in case of any issues during the descent.