Effect of y² and 1/y on oblique asymptotes

• Thread starter qazxsw11111
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of transformations on oblique asymptotes in a graph of y=f(x). It is confirmed that transforming the graph into 1/f(x) or y² will remove the oblique asymptotes. A question is raised about the possibility of still having an oblique asymptote if f(x) is replaced with 1/f(x) or the square root of f(x).
qazxsw11111
Hi everyone. If I have a y= graph and I do a transformation of either 1/y or y², the oblique asymptotes will disappear as they are no longer 'oblique'. Is that correct.

A simple yes or no would suffice.

Enjoy your day.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't unterstand the question. I suppose what you mean with an 'y=' graph is a graph of of y = f(x). What is a transformation of 1/y ?

Effect of a oblique asymptote on the y=f(x) graph tranformed into 1/f(x) graph and y² graph. I assume the oblique asymptotes will be gone. Will someone confirm?

to get an oblique asymptote on the right, you must have [tex] \lim_{x->+\infty} \frac {f(x)} {x} = C [/tex] for some constant C>0.

Is this still possible if you replace f(x) with 1/f(x) or [itex] \sqrt{f(x)} [/itex] ?

What is the definition of an oblique asymptote?

An oblique asymptote is a line that a curve approaches but never touches as it extends to infinity. It is not a part of the graph itself, but rather describes its behavior at the extreme ends.

How does y² affect the oblique asymptote of a curve?

If the equation of a curve contains a term with y², the oblique asymptote will be a diagonal line with a slope equal to the coefficient of the y² term. This is because as y approaches infinity, the y² term becomes dominant and the curve behaves more like a straight line with a slope of y².

What happens if the equation of a curve contains both y² and 1/y terms?

In this case, the oblique asymptote will still be a diagonal line, but the slope will be the ratio of the coefficient of y² and the coefficient of 1/y. This is because as y approaches infinity, the y² term will dominate and the 1/y term will become negligible.

Can a curve have more than one oblique asymptote?

Yes, it is possible for a curve to have more than one oblique asymptote. This can occur when the equation of the curve contains multiple terms with y² and/or 1/y. Each term will contribute to the overall slope of the asymptote.

How do we graph a curve with an oblique asymptote?

To graph a curve with an oblique asymptote, we first plot the points of the curve and then sketch the asymptote. The curve should approach the asymptote as it extends to infinity, but never touch or cross it. It is also helpful to plot a few additional points to better visualize the behavior of the curve near the asymptote.