Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation Dispersion Relation

In summary, the Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation (NSE) is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a wave function. It can be solved for a steady state solution, represented by A(z), by using the Ansatz A(z) = rho(z)e^(i*phi(z)). By introducing a perturbation, the NSE can be linearized to determine the stability of the solution. However, there is a discrepancy in the derived dispersion relation, which gives two distinct expressions for the wavevector. The question remains unresolved and further assistance is needed to determine the correct solution.
Mimb8
The Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation (NSE) is presented as:

$$i\frac{∂A}{∂z} = \frac{1}{2}β_2\frac{∂^2A}{∂t^2}-\gamma|A^2|A$$

The steady state solution

$$A(z)$$

Can be derived as an Ansatz given by:

$$ A(z) = \rho(z)e^{i\phi(z)}$$

By substituting and solving the ODE, the steady state solution results in:

$$A(z)=A_0e^{i\gamma {A_0}^2 z}$$

The quest at hand seeks to determine if the solution is stable by introducing a perturbation such that time dependent solution is:

$$A(z,t) = (A_0 + \epsilon(z,t))e^{i\gamma {A_0}^2 z}$$

By pluggin it back into the NSE and retaining only the linear terms in the perturbation, the linearized equation results in:

$$i\frac{∂\epsilon}{∂z} = \frac{1}{2}β_2\frac{∂^2\epsilon}{∂t^2}-\gamma{A_0}^2(\epsilon + \epsilon^*)$$

Supposing that the solution is of the form:

$$\epsilon(z,t) = \epsilon_1cos(\kappa z - \omega t) + i\epsilon_2sin(\kappa z - \omega t) $$

A side goal of this homework task is to also determine the dispersion relation that I can get by substituting the supposed solution. But here I ran into a problem: my attempt at determining the dispersion relation gave me the subsequent expression

$$ -i\kappa \epsilon_1sin(\kappa z - \omega t) -\kappa \epsilon_2cos(\kappa z - \omega t) + \frac{1}{2} \epsilon_1 \omega^2 \beta_2cos(\kappa z - \omega t) + i\frac{1}{2} \epsilon_2 \omega^2 \beta_2sin(\kappa z - \omega t) + 2 \epsilon_1 \gamma {A_0}^2cos(\kappa z - \omega t) = 0 $$

Supposedly, the solution is right but the dispersion relation gives me distinct expressions:

$$ \kappa = \frac{\epsilon_2}{2\epsilon_1} \omega^2 \beta_2 $$

And also,

$$ \kappa = \frac{\epsilon_1}{2\epsilon_2} \omega^2 \beta_2 + 2\frac{\epsilon_1}{\epsilon_2} \gamma {A_0}^2 $$

Moreover, the wavevector is to be complex because the next question in my homework asks be to calculated the gain in power given by:

$$ g(\omega) = 2Im(\kappa) $$

I have checked the math of the linear equation I've obtained and I don't seem to I have missed anything but it is surely strange to have different real expressions for the wavevector!

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression of the NSD is incorrect. The Schrodinger equation relates the first derivative in time of the wave function to its second derivative in space.

1. What is the Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation Dispersion Relation?

The Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation Dispersion Relation is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of a wave in a nonlinear medium. It takes into account the effects of nonlinearity, dispersion, and gain or loss in the medium.

2. What is the significance of the Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation Dispersion Relation in physics?

The Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation Dispersion Relation has important applications in various fields of physics, such as optics, fluid dynamics, plasma physics, and condensed matter physics. It is used to study the behavior of waves in nonlinear media, which are common in many physical systems.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation Dispersion Relation?

The Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation Dispersion Relation assumes that the medium is homogeneous, isotropic, and has a constant refractive index. It also assumes that the wave is monochromatic and propagates in one direction.

4. How is the Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation Dispersion Relation solved?

The Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation Dispersion Relation is typically solved using numerical methods, such as the split-step Fourier method or the finite-difference time-domain method. These methods discretize the equation and solve it iteratively to obtain a solution.

5. Can the Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation Dispersion Relation be used to describe all types of waves?

No, the Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation Dispersion Relation is only applicable to certain types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves, acoustic waves, and matter waves. It cannot be used to describe other types of waves, such as gravitational waves.