Effectively reading physics review articles

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of reading and understanding technical review articles in physics, using Eric Poisson's review on point particle equations of motion in curved spacetime as an example. While some review articles come with exercises to aid understanding, Poisson's does not. The conversation then poses the question of how to effectively read and comprehend such articles, suggesting the use of the active reading technique described in a helpful resource.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
I have the rather fortunate task of reading to completion Eric Poisson's review article on point particle equations of motion in curved spacetime, http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2011-7/ . It's a rather long and very technical review. I've only ever read one review article in a dedicated fashion to completion and it was Baumann's TASI lectures on inflation. Unlike most reviews it was actually quite easy to read and it came with exercises to make sure you understood each chapter of the article. Most review articles, including Poisson's, don't do that. But topics like those in Poisson's article can't really be found in textbooks so the review articles are the best available resources. As such, how do you effectively read them? Passively reading physics almost never helps you learn and Poisson's article doesn't come with exercies. So how do you go about making sure you actually understood the material in the review? Is the only available way to apply it to whatever research project youre working on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may find the following helpful:
http://hackerspace.lifehacker.com/the-easiest-way-to-actively-read-476078116

1. What is the purpose of reading physics review articles?

Reading physics review articles allows scientists to stay updated on the latest research and developments in their field. It also helps them understand the current state of scientific knowledge and how it has evolved over time.

2. How can I effectively read a physics review article?

To effectively read a physics review article, it is important to first skim through the article to get an overview of the main points and arguments. Then, read the article more carefully, taking notes and highlighting important information. Finally, critically analyze the information presented and consider its implications and limitations.

3. What should I look for when reading a physics review article?

When reading a physics review article, pay attention to the main arguments and evidence presented, the methodology used, and the conclusions drawn by the author. It is also important to critically evaluate the validity and reliability of the information presented.

4. How can I use physics review articles in my own research?

Physics review articles can be used as a starting point for further research, providing a comprehensive overview of a specific topic. They can also be used to support arguments and provide evidence for a research paper or project.

5. How do I know if a physics review article is credible?

To determine the credibility of a physics review article, consider the reputation and qualifications of the author, the sources cited, and the publication where the article is published. Additionally, critically evaluate the evidence and arguments presented in the article to determine if they are supported by reliable data and research.