Effects of the earth's mass on evolution?

In summary, if the Earth were 20% larger, but was formed under the same circumstances, same habitable climate, etc., then things would be very different than they are now.
shlegminitism
Here's a question, though I'm not sure if it is suited to the biology section, since it might overlap physics and Earth science. Hell, i don't know; I'm an English major :rofl:
Forgive me if i make any foolish assumptions.

To what extent has the Earth's mass affected the types of life that have formed?

If the Earth were 20% larger (or smaller), but was formed under the same circumstances, same habitable climate, etc., would things be very different than they are now?

Just wondering how significant the Earth's mass was to all of this. I guess I'm assuming that if the mass was larger, gravity would exert a stronger pull and we might just have beefier legs? I'm also assuming that life (those first tiny single and mult-icellular critters) came to be and evolved in a way that was ideal in relation to the mass of this planet, and that if the mass were different, then other critters would have come to be that are slightly different, but similar in function. Any Idears?

Biology news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;

It kinda depends on what you mean by "different".
Usually if you change something significantly (and 20% more mass would be significant) it will have a big effect, even to the extent of making life impossible on Earth. However, evolution is something that happens on the scale of the entire Universe.

Basically, if life had evolved on an Earth-like world with higher gravity (but other things also modified so life is not excluded) then you would expect to see adaptations for the higher gravity.

Which adaptations?
Depends on the assumptions - look at the burgess shale fossils to see what kind of biodiversity is possible just with shelled creatures that have jointed legs.

A land animal with legs would need to have thick legs - yes - and stronger lungs. A human-oid would share features with an elephant.

The more you make things besides the mass the same, the more the same the expected evolutionary outcome.

I'm wondering if this belongs in science fiction?

It's another unaswerable "what if" thread. We could do this 24/7.

1. How does the earth's mass affect evolution?

The earth's mass plays a crucial role in the process of evolution. The mass of the earth determines the strength of its gravitational pull, which affects the movement and distribution of living organisms and their environments. It also affects the climate, geology, and atmospheric conditions, all of which can have a significant impact on the evolution of species.

2. Can a change in the earth's mass lead to changes in evolution?

Yes, a change in the earth's mass can lead to significant changes in evolution. For example, a significant increase or decrease in the earth's mass can affect sea levels, which can lead to changes in habitats and the distribution of species. It can also impact the earth's orbit, which can result in changes in climate and weather patterns, ultimately influencing the survival and adaptation of species.

3. How does the earth's mass affect the diversity of species?

The earth's mass can influence the diversity of species in several ways. It can determine the size and shape of landmasses and oceans, which can lead to the formation of barriers or connections between habitats. This can impact the migration and dispersal of species, leading to the development of new species and genetic diversity. Additionally, the earth's mass can also influence the distribution of resources and food availability, which can further impact the diversity of species in an ecosystem.

4. What is the relationship between the earth's mass and the evolution of humans?

The earth's mass has played a crucial role in the evolution of humans. The unique gravitational force of the earth has allowed for the development of larger, more complex organisms, including humans. The stability of the earth's mass and its orbit has also provided a consistent environment for human evolution to occur. Additionally, the earth's mass has influenced the distribution of resources and habitats, which has shaped the development of human societies and cultures.

5. Can changes in the earth's mass lead to mass extinctions?

Yes, changes in the earth's mass can result in mass extinctions. For example, a significant increase in the earth's mass due to the impact of an asteroid or comet can cause widespread destruction and disruption of ecosystems, leading to the extinction of many species. Similarly, a decrease in the earth's mass due to natural disasters or geological changes can also have a significant impact on the survival and evolution of species, potentially leading to mass extinctions.