Efficiency Associated with Cost

• Thread starter jdawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Efficiency
In summary, the cost of heating a space with a 50% efficient furnace is less than heating the space with a (theoretical) 100% efficient furnace.
jdawg

Homework Statement

The concrete slab of a basement is 11m long, 8m wide, and 0.20m thick. During the winter, temperatures are nominally% °C and 10°C at the top and bottom surfaces, respectively. If the concrete has a thermal conductivity of 1.4W/m*K, what is the rate of heat loss through the slab? If the basement is heated by a gas furnace operating at an efficiency of 90% and natural gas is priced at Cg=$0.02/MJ, what is the daily cost of the heat loss?

Homework Equations

Simplification of Fourier's Law: q'' = -k(T1-T2)/L
q=q''*A

The Attempt at a Solution

So I had no problems calculating the heat loss (q=4312 W), but I'm a bit confused on how to incorporate the efficiency. I'm used to just multiplying the efficiency by the amount of energy that I calculated in order to find the actual energy produced or lost, but I know in this case I'm trying to calculate the cost.

This is the formula that the solution I have uses:
Cost = (q*t*Cg) / efficiency (Where q=heat loss, t=time,Cg=cost per Mg)

How do they know to divide by the efficiency?? I guess in the problem they tell you that the furnace giving off energy is 90% efficient and we are looking at the daily cost of heat loss and not heat produced...

I'm having a bit of a mental block with this problem, I would really appreciate an explanation :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since they are looking for cost, consider how much would it cost to heat that space with a 50% efficient furnace, versus a (theoretical) 100% efficient furnace.

Does that explain it?

OK, mathematically, looking at the formula for cost, "efficiency" is in the denominator. So that mean cost goes down as efficiency goes up, right? Doesn't that make sense?

Likes jdawg
Thank you so much! It makes total sense, great explanation!

1. What is efficiency associated with cost?

Efficiency associated with cost is a measure of how well resources are utilized to achieve a desired outcome at the lowest possible cost. It is a way to evaluate the effectiveness of a system or process in terms of achieving its goals while minimizing expenses.

2. Why is efficiency associated with cost important?

Efficiency associated with cost is important because it allows for the optimization of resources and can ultimately lead to cost savings. By identifying areas of inefficiency, improvements can be made to increase productivity and reduce expenses.

3. How is efficiency associated with cost measured?

Efficiency associated with cost can be measured by comparing the cost of achieving a desired outcome to the potential cost of achieving that same outcome with perfect efficiency. This is often done through cost-benefit analysis or by calculating the efficiency ratio.

4. What are some factors that can affect efficiency associated with cost?

There are many factors that can affect efficiency associated with cost, including the quality of resources, the skill level of workers, the design and layout of a system or process, and external factors such as market conditions or technology advancements.

5. How can efficiency associated with cost be improved?

Efficiency associated with cost can be improved by identifying areas of inefficiency and implementing changes to streamline processes, increase productivity, and reduce costs. This may involve investing in new technology, training employees, or reevaluating the design of a system.