Efficiency of Carnot Engine Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency of a Carnot engine working between two reservoirs at temperatures T1 and T2. The efficiency is defined as the ratio of work output to heat input, and it is found to be 1 minus the ratio of the lower temperature to the higher temperature. The solution also considers the first law of thermodynamics, the ideal gas law, and the adiabatic process to arrive at this result.
linford86

Homework Statement

This is from "Equilibrium Statistical Physics" by Plischke and Bergerson, problem 1.1:

"Consider a Carnot engine working between reservoirs at temperatures T1 and T2. The working substance is an ideal gas obeying the equation of state [ [tex]PV=Nk_BT[/tex] ], which may be taken to be a definition of a temperature scale. Show explicitly that the the efficiency of the cycle is given by

[tex]\eta=1-\frac{T_2}{T_1}[/tex]

where [tex]T_1>T_2[/tex].

Homework Equations

The first law of thermodynamics, the ideal gas law, and a few other things. I'll introduce these in my partial solution; I hope that's not inappropriate.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I began by noting that the efficiency is defined as [tex]\eta=\frac{W}{Q_1}[/tex]. We also know that [tex]W=Q_1+Q_2[/tex], using the convention that heat leaving the system is negative. For the sake of reference, I will define that the Carnot engine moves through points A, B, C, and D, and that AB is isothermal at temperature [tex]T_1[/tex], BC is adiabatic, CD is isothermal at temperature [tex]T_2[/tex], and DA is adiabatic. For the process from A to B, since it is isothermal, the internal energy does not change. By the first law of thermodynamics, we have that:

[tex]dU=0=\bar{d}Q-\bar{d}W[/tex] and, thus, [tex]\bar{d}Q=\bar{d}W[/tex]

Next, we have that [tex]\int_A^B \! dQ=\int_A^B P \, dV=Nk_BT\ln(\frac{V_B}{V_A}[/tex]. Likewise, [tex]Q_2=Nk_BT\ln(\frac{V_D}{V_C})[/tex]. Simplifying the equation for [tex]\eta[/tex], we have:

[tex]\eta=1+\frac{\ln(\frac{V_D}{V_C}}{\ln(\frac{V_D}{V_C}}[/tex]

I understand that, for an adiabatic process, [tex]TV^\gamma=(constant)[/tex] and that [tex]\gamma=\frac{C_D}{C_V}[/tex], but I have no idea how to use this information to further reduce [tex]\eta[/tex] to the desired result --

[tex]\eta=1+\frac{T_2}{T_1}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From adiabatic process (BC and DA), we have:

[tex]
T_{2} V_{b} ^\gamma ^- ^1 = T_{1} V_{c} ^\gamma ^- ^1
[/tex]

[tex]
T_{2} V_{a} ^\gamma ^- ^1 = T_{1} V_{d} ^\gamma ^- ^1
[/tex]

From 2 eq, we shall get:

[tex]
\frac{V_{b}}{V_{a}} = \frac{V_{c}}{V_{d}}
[/tex]

Plug it to efficiency to get a result.

Ha, that's so obvious! Thanks!

How do I mark this thread as "Solved"? I tried looking under "Thread Tools" but I didn't see an option for doing that...

1. What is the Carnot Engine?

The Carnot Engine is a theoretical heat engine that was invented by Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot in the early 19th century. It operates on the principle of converting heat energy into mechanical work, and is considered to be the most efficient heat engine possible.

2. How does the Carnot Engine achieve high efficiency?

The Carnot Engine operates on a reversible thermodynamic cycle, which means that it can be run in both forward and reverse directions without losing any energy. This allows it to achieve the maximum possible efficiency, as it can use the same amount of heat energy to perform work in both directions.

3. What is the efficiency formula for the Carnot Engine?

The efficiency of the Carnot Engine is given by the ratio of the net work output to the heat energy input. It is calculated using the formula: Efficiency = 1 - (Tc/Th), where Tc is the temperature of the cold reservoir and Th is the temperature of the hot reservoir.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of the Carnot Engine?

The efficiency of the Carnot Engine is primarily affected by the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs. A larger temperature difference results in a higher efficiency. Additionally, the type of working substance used in the engine, as well as any friction or losses in the system, can also impact the efficiency.

5. Is the Carnot Engine used in real life?

While the Carnot Engine is a theoretical concept, it serves as the basis for the development of more efficient engines and machines. Some real-life applications, such as refrigerators and heat pumps, use the principles of the Carnot Engine to achieve high efficiency. However, due to practical limitations, it is not possible to create a Carnot Engine that operates at 100% efficiency.