1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efficiency of Carnot Engine Question

1. Oct 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is from "Equilibrium Statistical Physics" by Plischke and Bergerson, problem 1.1:

"Consider a Carnot engine working between reservoirs at temperatures T1 and T2. The working substance is an ideal gas obeying the equation of state [ [tex]PV=Nk_BT[/tex] ], which may be taken to be a definition of a temperature scale. Show explicitly that the the efficiency of the cycle is given by

[tex]\eta=1-\frac{T_2}{T_1}[/tex]

where [tex]T_1>T_2[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

The first law of thermodynamics, the ideal gas law, and a few other things. I'll introduce these in my partial solution; I hope that's not inappropriate.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I began by noting that the efficiency is defined as [tex]\eta=\frac{W}{Q_1}[/tex]. We also know that [tex]W=Q_1+Q_2[/tex], using the convention that heat leaving the system is negative. For the sake of reference, I will define that the Carnot engine moves through points A, B, C, and D, and that AB is isothermal at temperature [tex]T_1[/tex], BC is adiabatic, CD is isothermal at temperature [tex]T_2[/tex], and DA is adiabatic. For the process from A to B, since it is isothermal, the internal energy does not change. By the first law of thermodynamics, we have that:

[tex]dU=0=\bar{d}Q-\bar{d}W[/tex] and, thus, [tex]\bar{d}Q=\bar{d}W[/tex]

Next, we have that [tex]\int_A^B \! dQ=\int_A^B P \, dV=Nk_BT\ln(\frac{V_B}{V_A}[/tex]. Likewise, [tex]Q_2=Nk_BT\ln(\frac{V_D}{V_C})[/tex]. Simplifying the equation for [tex]\eta[/tex], we have:

[tex]\eta=1+\frac{\ln(\frac{V_D}{V_C}}{\ln(\frac{V_D}{V_C}}[/tex]

I understand that, for an adiabatic process, [tex]TV^\gamma=(constant)[/tex] and that [tex]\gamma=\frac{C_D}{C_V}[/tex], but I have no idea how to use this information to further reduce [tex]\eta[/tex] to the desired result --

[tex]\eta=1+\frac{T_2}{T_1}[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2
    From adiabatic process (BC and DA), we have:

[tex]
    T_{2} V_{b} ^\gamma ^- ^1 = T_{1} V_{c} ^\gamma ^- ^1
    [/tex]

[tex]
    T_{2} V_{a} ^\gamma ^- ^1 = T_{1} V_{d} ^\gamma ^- ^1
    [/tex]

From 2 eq, we shall get:

[tex]
    \frac{V_{b}}{V_{a}} = \frac{V_{c}}{V_{d}}
    [/tex]

Plug it to efficiency to get a result.

4. Oct 31, 2009 #3
    Ha, that's so obvious!! Thanks!

How do I mark this thread as "Solved"? I tried looking under "Thread Tools" but I didn't see an option for doing that...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook