Thermodynamic temperature scale and Carnot cycle

chimay
TL;DR Summary
This thread is about the concept of thermodynamic temperature scale and its derivation through thought experiments involving Carnot engines.
Hi all,
recently I started following the MIT course "Statistical Mechanics I: Statistical Mechanics Of Particles" by MIT (here).
In the second lesson Prof. Kardar introduces the concept of thermodynamic temperature analyzing the behavior of two Carnot engines that share a thermal reservour at temperatre [itex]T_2[/itex]. The lecture notes can be found here.

My doubt is about Eq. I.21 and I.22 at pag. 10. It seems to me that from
[tex] 1-\eta(T1,T2) = \frac{1-\eta(T1,T3)}{1-\eta(T2,T3)} [/tex]
I can conclude that
[tex] 1-\eta(T1,T2) = \frac{f(T_1)}{f(T_2)} [/tex]
by taking [itex] T_3 [/itex] as a reference temperature (note that [itex] T_1>T_2>T_3[/itex]). In the previous equation [itex] f [/itex] is a generic function but since the definition of [itex] T [/itex] is arbitrary we can say
[tex] 1-\eta(T1,T2) = \frac{T_1}{T_2} [/tex].

Now the problem is that from the definition of efficiency of a Carnot engine
[tex] 1-\eta(T1,T2) = \frac{Q_2}{Q_1} [/tex]

and equating the last two equations it results
[tex] \frac{Q_2}{Q_1}= \frac{T_1}{T_2} [/tex]
that is clearly wrong (see Eq. I.22).

Where is my mistake here?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Science news on Phys.org
##\frac {f(T_1)} {f(T_2)} < 1, T_1>T_2##. Thus, you cannot replace ##f(T)## with ##T##, but you can replace it with ##\frac 1 T##. Then, everything works just fine.

Last edited:
Hi Hill,
thank you for your reply. It makes sense now.

Likes Hill

What is the thermodynamic temperature scale?

The thermodynamic temperature scale is a scale of temperature measurement based on the properties of ideal gases and the concept of absolute zero. It is defined in terms of the ideal gas law and the concept of entropy.

What is the Carnot cycle?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that operates between two heat reservoirs at different temperatures. It consists of four reversible processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression.

How is the efficiency of a Carnot engine calculated?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is calculated using the formula: Efficiency = 1 - (Tc/Th), where Tc is the temperature of the cold reservoir and Th is the temperature of the hot reservoir. The efficiency of a Carnot engine is the maximum possible efficiency for any heat engine operating between those two temperatures.

What is the significance of the Carnot cycle in thermodynamics?

The Carnot cycle is significant in thermodynamics because it represents the maximum possible efficiency of a heat engine operating between two temperatures. It serves as a theoretical benchmark for the performance of real heat engines and helps to understand the limitations of converting heat into work.

How does the Carnot cycle relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The Carnot cycle is closely related to the second law of thermodynamics because it demonstrates that no heat engine can be more efficient than a Carnot engine operating between the same two temperatures. This implies that there are limitations on the efficiency of heat engines and the conversion of heat into work.