1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efficiency of Stirling heat engines

1. Apr 13, 2014 #1
    Not sure if this should be posted in the general physics forums or in the hw/coursework section.

I'm in my second semester of general physics and have to do a class project. For my project I built an alpha type Stirling engine. In the paper I need to write I need to explain how it works using physics. I'm am stuck on the second law of thermodynamics and finding the efficiency (real and ideal) of a Stirling heat engine. I also need to compare the Stirling engine to the carnot engine.

I know the efficiency of a carnot is effc= 1-(Tc/Th).

What formula is used to calculate the the real efficiency of a Stirling heat engine?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What have you been reading about the Stirling engine? What equations and derivations have you seen so far for its efficiency?

4. Apr 13, 2014 #3
    I have been searching Google for various information. On a few sites they use the carnot efficiency for Stirling engines which I wasn't sure if that was the correct equation. On other sites the equations used calculus that I haven't used before.

5. Apr 14, 2014 #4
    I know these equations for efficiency:

effc=1-(Tc/Th)

eff=W/Qin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted