Efficiency of Stirling heat engines

In summary: I have seen these equations used in previous papers I have read. I am not sure if I can use them to calculate the real efficiency of my Stirling engine. I also don't know how to compare it to the carnot engine.Help!I'm stuck.
mysticwolves
Not sure if this should be posted in the general physics forums or in the hw/coursework section.

I'm in my second semester of general physics and have to do a class project. For my project I built an alpha type Stirling engine. In the paper I need to write I need to explain how it works using physics. I'm am stuck on the second law of thermodynamics and finding the efficiency (real and ideal) of a Stirling heat engine. I also need to compare the Stirling engine to the carnot engine.

I know the efficiency of a carnot is effc= 1-(Tc/Th).

What formula is used to calculate the the real efficiency of a Stirling heat engine?

Physics news on Phys.org
mysticwolves said:
Not sure if this should be posted in the general physics forums or in the hw/coursework section.

I'm in my second semester of general physics and have to do a class project. For my project I built an alpha type Stirling engine. In the paper I need to write I need to explain how it works using physics. I'm am stuck on the second law of thermodynamics and finding the efficiency (real and ideal) of a Stirling heat engine. I also need to compare the Stirling engine to the carnot engine.

I know the efficiency of a carnot is effc= 1-(Tc/Th).

What formula is used to calculate the the real efficiency of a Stirling heat engine?

Welcome to the PF.

What have you been reading about the Stirling engine? What equations and derivations have you seen so far for its efficiency?

I have been searching Google for various information. On a few sites they use the carnot efficiency for Stirling engines which I wasn't sure if that was the correct equation. On other sites the equations used calculus that I haven't used before.

I know these equations for efficiency:

effc=1-(Tc/Th)

eff=W/Qin

The efficiency of a Stirling heat engine is typically calculated using the following formula:

η = (W/Qh) = (1 - Tc/Th)

where η is the efficiency, W is the work output, Qh is the heat input at the high temperature reservoir (Th), and Tc is the temperature at the cold temperature reservoir.

This formula is similar to the one for the Carnot engine, but it takes into account the fact that the Stirling engine operates on a closed cycle rather than an idealized reversible process. This means that there will be some energy losses due to friction and other inefficiencies in the engine.

In comparison to the Carnot engine, the Stirling engine can have a higher efficiency for the same temperature difference (Th - Tc), but it may also have a lower efficiency due to these energy losses. Overall, the efficiency of a Stirling engine can vary depending on factors such as the design and operating conditions.

I suggest conducting further research and analysis to determine the real efficiency of your specific alpha type Stirling engine and comparing it to the ideal efficiency and the efficiency of a Carnot engine. This will provide a more accurate and detailed understanding of the efficiency of Stirling heat engines.

1. What is a Stirling heat engine?

A Stirling heat engine is a type of external combustion engine that operates on the Stirling cycle. It uses a fixed amount of gas, typically air, and an external heat source to convert thermal energy into mechanical work.

2. How does a Stirling heat engine work?

A Stirling heat engine works by using a piston to compress and expand the gas inside a closed chamber. The gas is heated and cooled by an external heat source and heat sink, causing it to expand and contract, which in turn moves the piston and creates mechanical energy.

3. What makes Stirling heat engines efficient?

Stirling heat engines are efficient because they operate on a closed cycle, meaning that the working fluid is constantly reused and no gas is lost. Additionally, the external heat source and heat sink can be optimized for maximum heat transfer, resulting in a more efficient conversion of thermal energy into mechanical work.

4. What are the advantages of Stirling heat engines?

Stirling heat engines have several advantages, including their high efficiency, quiet operation, and ability to use a variety of heat sources (such as solar, biomass, or waste heat). They also have a long lifespan and require minimal maintenance compared to other types of engines.

5. What are the limitations of Stirling heat engines?

The main limitation of Stirling heat engines is their relatively low power density, meaning that they are not as compact or powerful as other types of engines. They also have a slow start-up time and are sensitive to temperature changes, which can affect their efficiency. Additionally, the materials used to construct Stirling engines can be expensive and may limit their widespread use.