Efficient Pump Usage in Fuel Oil Supply System: Solving for Tank Fill Time

• Thread starter Girn261
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pumps
In summary, the problem involves filling up two tanks (Tank A and Tank B) using two different pumps (Pump A and Pump B). Pump A can fill up Tank A in 15 hours and 20 minutes from the minimum level, while Pump B takes 17 hours and 30 minutes to fill up Tank B. To calculate the time to fill up Tank A from the minimum level, both pumps are used simultaneously, resulting in a time of 490 minutes. In part B, where Pump A is filling up Tank A while Pump B is transferring fuel out from Tank A to Tank B, the time is calculated to be 7430 minutes assuming equal tank volumes and different pump capacities.
Girn261

Homework Statement

A fuel oil supply system consists of two tanks (Tank A and Tank B) and two transfer pumps (Pump A and Pump B) to supply a Bunker C fuel oil to a heating boiler.

Pump A can fill up a Tank A from the minimum level in 15 hours and 20 minutes
Pump B can fill up a Tank B from the minimum level in 17 hours and 30 minutes

Calculate the time to fill up Tank A from the minimum level under the following conditions.

a) both pumps are used simultaneously
b) pump A is used to fill up Tank A while Pump B is transferring fuel out from Tank A to Tank B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a) I converted the hours to minutes for both pumps, I assume both tanks to be same size. Pump A = 920mins to fill tank & 1050 mins for pump B. Then I did (1/920+1/1050)x(t)=1 to find t which was 490 mins. But for part B any tips? I'm having a brain fart.

Physics news on Phys.org
Girn261 said:
for part B any tips?
Consider what the change is over one minute.

Are the two tanks the same volume? Or are the two pumps of equal capacity? Neither? If neither seems like not enough info given.

haruspex said:
Consider what the change is over one minute.

Okay I am kinda lost haha. But I did this (1/1050-1/920)=1/x and for x I got 7430 mins. Is that right?

rude man said:
Are the two tanks the same volume? Or are the two pumps of equal capacity? Neither? If neither seems like not enough info given.
thats the exact question, so I think you're suppose to assume the tanks are same volume, while the pumps are different capacity

Girn261 said:
Okay I am kinda lost haha. But I did this (1/1050-1/920)=1/x and for x I got 7430 mins. Is that right?
Yes.

Likes Girn261
Girn261 said:
thats the exact question, so I think you're suppose to assume the tanks are same volume, while the pumps are different capacity
Well, I think it's exactly badly phrased, :smile: but OK you have to assume something, might as well be equal-size tanks..

What is the concept of "Two pumps filling up tanks"?

The concept of "Two pumps filling up tanks" refers to a scenario where two pumps are used to fill up a tank with liquid. This can be applied to various situations such as filling up a gas tank, a swimming pool, or even a water tank for a household.

How do the two pumps work together to fill up the tank?

The two pumps work together by simultaneously pumping liquid into the tank. This allows for a faster filling time compared to using just one pump. The pumps can also be adjusted to maintain a consistent flow rate to prevent overflow or underfilling.

What are the advantages of using two pumps instead of one to fill up a tank?

Using two pumps instead of one has several advantages. Firstly, it reduces the filling time significantly, making the process more efficient. Secondly, it allows for better control and accuracy in filling up the tank. Lastly, it can also serve as a backup in case one pump fails.

Can any type of liquid be used with the two pumps filling method?

Yes, the two pumps filling method can be used with a variety of liquids, including water, gas, oil, and chemicals. The compatibility of the pumps and the liquid should be checked beforehand to ensure proper functioning and prevent any damage.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using the two pumps filling method?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using the two pumps filling method. This may include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and ensuring that the pumps are well-maintained and in good working condition. It is also crucial to monitor the filling process to prevent any potential hazards.