EGG drop with elastic potential energy.

In summary: To be sure that k was linear over the range 2 to 6 then you would need to do it for those and if you got the same value for k at both distances then you might reasonably surmise that it was linear.
Asubach
Hi I am trying to find at what hight i need to drop a egg from 2-6 meters. We will start with 2 meters. The weight of the egg and device holding the egg is .11kg together. I no the formulas for EPE and EP " EPE=1/2KX^2 AND PE=mgh. The question is now how to find where on the elastic band to hold from 2 meters above the ground without hitting the ground! "CLOSEST THE BETTER"

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Asubach said:
Hi I am trying to find at what hight i need to drop a egg from 2-6 meters. We will start with 2 meters. The weight of the egg and device holding the egg is .11kg together. I no the formulas for EPE and EP " EPE=1/2KX^2 AND PE=mgh. The question is now how to find where on the elastic band to hold from 2 meters above the ground without hitting the ground! "CLOSEST THE BETTER"

Thanks

At what point will you exhaust all the initial potential energy of the egg with the potential energy of the rubber band?

Of course you need to know the value of K.

LowlyPion said:
At what point will you exhaust all the initial potential energy of the egg with the potential energy of the rubber band?

Of course you need to know the value of K.

Hi thanks for the response! But that is one of my question as well how do i find value of K? And I will be dropping the egg and holding the elastic band at 2.0 meters.

Asubach said:
Hi thanks for the response! But that is one of my question as well how do i find value of K? And I will be dropping the egg and holding the elastic band at 2.0 meters.

Then you have to determine it by dropping it and finding what length of elastic stretches how much. It's the how much you're interested in given how high the egg is when dropped that gives k.

LowlyPion said:
Then you have to determine it by dropping it and finding what length of elastic stretches how much. It's the how much you're interested in given how high the egg is when dropped that gives k.

Should I drop it 4 to 5 time for all of the given distances that I was given and then find the average? "2-6 meters" Or can you solve it mathematically? K=F/X and find K then find how many Newtons? Then plug K into the ELE?

Asubach said:
Should I drop it 4 to 5 time for all of the given distances that I was given and then find the average? "2-6 meters" Or can you solve it mathematically? K=F/X and find K then find how many Newtons? Then plug K into the ELE?

To be sure that k was linear over the range 2 to 6 then you would need to do it for those and if you got the same value for k at both distances then you might reasonably surmise that it was linear. Once you determine k then in theory you should be able to calculate how far it will stretch for any height dropped within that range.

What is an EGG drop with elastic potential energy?

An EGG drop with elastic potential energy is an experiment where an egg is dropped from a certain height and is protected from breaking by using elastic potential energy. This is achieved by attaching rubber bands or springs to the egg, which absorb the impact of the fall and prevent the egg from cracking.

How does elastic potential energy protect the egg?

Elastic potential energy is stored in the rubber bands or springs when they are stretched. When the egg is dropped, the rubber bands or springs release this stored energy, which absorbs the impact of the fall and prevents the egg from breaking.

What are the benefits of using elastic potential energy in an EGG drop?

Using elastic potential energy in an EGG drop allows for a more controlled and predictable landing for the egg. It also allows for multiple attempts without having to reset the experiment each time, as the rubber bands or springs can be easily re-stretched.

What factors affect the success of an EGG drop with elastic potential energy?

The success of an EGG drop with elastic potential energy can be affected by a number of factors, such as the height from which the egg is dropped, the materials and design of the elastic components, and the weight and fragility of the egg itself.

How can I improve the success rate of an EGG drop with elastic potential energy?

To improve the success rate of an EGG drop with elastic potential energy, you can experiment with different materials and designs for the elastic components, adjust the height of the drop, and carefully choose the weight and fragility of the egg. Additionally, practicing and refining your technique can also lead to higher success rates.