1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EGG drop with elastic potential energy.

Tags:
  1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    Hi I am trying to find at what hight i need to drop a egg from 2-6 meters. We will start with 2 meters. The weight of the egg and device holding the egg is .11kg together. I no the formulas for EPE and EP " EPE=1/2KX^2 AND PE=mgh. The question is now how to find where on the elastic band to hold from 2 meters above the ground with out hitting the ground! "CLOSEST THE BETTER"

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

At what point will you exhaust all the initial potential energy of the egg with the potential energy of the rubber band?

Of course you need to know the value of K.

4. Nov 6, 2008 #3

Hi thanks for the response! But that is one of my question as well how do i find value of K? And I will be dropping the egg and holding the elastic band at 2.0 meters.

5. Nov 6, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Then you have to determine it by dropping it and finding what length of elastic stretches how much. It's the how much you're interested in given how high the egg is when dropped that gives k.

6. Nov 6, 2008 #5
    Should I drop it 4 to 5 time for all of the given distances that I was given and then find the average? "2-6 meters" Or can you solve it mathematically? K=F/X and find K then find how many Newtons? Then plug K into the ELE?

7. Nov 7, 2008 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

To be sure that k was linear over the range 2 to 6 then you would need to do it for those and if you got the same value for k at both distances then you might reasonably surmise that it was linear. Once you determine k then in theory you should be able to calculate how far it will stretch for any height dropped within that range.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?