1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High School Egg Drop project tips

1. Jan 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have an egg drop project in my high school physics class, dropping 2 eggs in one device from 6 meters up. There are some certain guidelines.

I was just looking for some tips or ideas of what I should do. So here are the guidelines:
    - Device has to hold 2 eggs.
    - It must have a mass of 1 kg or less (without the eggs)
    - Can be as long as you want, but width must be less than 1/2 meter in diameter.
    - No wings, parachutes, balloons, or anything that hinders the device from falling freely.
    - No food padding like pudding or jello.
    - Device must be built from scratch, not modified from some ready made object (no teddy bears, packing boxes/cardboard boxes, nerf ball, etc.)
    - Only a single layer of padding, at most 1" thick (bubble wrap, cotton, foam, etc. IS allowed). You must build something, not just stuff it full of padding.
    - No egg modifications
    - Device will be dropped 3 times, with 2 fresh eggs each time.
    - The group with the lightest device with the most surviving eggs wins the game (gets extra credit).

So I'm just looking for some help about what techniques would work best, what would best absorb the shock of being dropped from 6 meters. I was thinking about using either straws, Popsicle sticks, etc. with some tape. Any tips, support, or help is appreciated.

Apologies if I did some part of this thread wrong, this is my first post.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2016 #2
    You can get some preliminary ideas by searching these forums as we have dozens of egg drop threads.

4. Jan 20, 2016 #3
    I did the egg drop project for my class two years ago, and my device was built as followed

I had a cardboard tube where I placed two eggs, with crumpled paper between. On the bottom of the tube, I used 4 straw pieces to build a frame that would be crushed in order to reduce impact on crash. On top, I attached 4 pieces of paper tilted slightly downward around the circumference of the egg tube. This functioned to convert a lot of the gravitational potential energy into rotational energy, which won't harm the egg.

Hope this helped!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted