High School Egg Drop project tips

In summary, the conversation is about an egg drop project in a high school physics class. The project involves dropping 2 eggs from 6 meters using a device that follows certain guidelines. The device must hold 2 eggs and have a mass of 1 kg or less. It cannot have any hindrances such as wings, parachutes, or food padding. The device must also be built from scratch and have only a single layer of padding. The eggs cannot be modified and the group with the lightest device and most surviving eggs wins extra credit. The person is seeking tips and techniques for their device and mentions using straws, Popsicle sticks, and tape. Another person shares their device which includes a cardboard tube with crumpled paper
Oceanus

Homework Statement

I have an egg drop project in my high school physics class, dropping 2 eggs in one device from 6 meters up. There are some certain guidelines.

I was just looking for some tips or ideas of what I should do. So here are the guidelines:
- Device has to hold 2 eggs.
- It must have a mass of 1 kg or less (without the eggs)
- Can be as long as you want, but width must be less than 1/2 meter in diameter.
- No wings, parachutes, balloons, or anything that hinders the device from falling freely.
- No food padding like pudding or jello.
- Device must be built from scratch, not modified from some ready made object (no teddy bears, packing boxes/cardboard boxes, nerf ball, etc.)
- Only a single layer of padding, at most 1" thick (bubble wrap, cotton, foam, etc. IS allowed). You must build something, not just stuff it full of padding.
- No egg modifications
- Device will be dropped 3 times, with 2 fresh eggs each time.
- The group with the lightest device with the most surviving eggs wins the game (gets extra credit).

So I'm just looking for some help about what techniques would work best, what would best absorb the shock of being dropped from 6 meters. I was thinking about using either straws, Popsicle sticks, etc. with some tape. Any tips, support, or help is appreciated.

Apologies if I did some part of this thread wrong, this is my first post.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can get some preliminary ideas by searching these forums as we have dozens of egg drop threads.

I did the egg drop project for my class two years ago, and my device was built as followed

I had a cardboard tube where I placed two eggs, with crumpled paper between. On the bottom of the tube, I used 4 straw pieces to build a frame that would be crushed in order to reduce impact on crash. On top, I attached 4 pieces of paper tilted slightly downward around the circumference of the egg tube. This functioned to convert a lot of the gravitational potential energy into rotational energy, which won't harm the egg.

Hope this helped!

What materials are needed for a high school egg drop project?

The materials needed for a high school egg drop project may vary, but some common materials include: a raw egg, various types of packaging materials (such as bubble wrap, newspaper, or foam), tape, scissors, and a container or structure to hold the egg.

How should I design my egg drop container to protect the egg?

When designing your egg drop container, consider using materials with shock-absorbing capabilities, such as foam or bubble wrap. Also, make sure to create a sturdy structure that will hold the egg securely and prevent it from moving around too much during the drop. Test your container by dropping it from various heights to see if the egg survives.

What is the best way to package the egg inside the container?

The key to packaging the egg inside the container is to provide cushioning and stability. You can use materials such as cotton balls, foam, or popcorn to cushion the egg, and tape or string to secure it in place. Avoid using materials that are too heavy or bulky, as they may add unnecessary weight to the container.

How can I increase the chances of my egg surviving the drop?

To increase the chances of your egg surviving the drop, you can try using multiple layers of packaging materials or adding extra cushioning around the egg. Also, make sure to distribute the weight evenly throughout the container and avoid sharp edges or corners that could potentially damage the egg upon impact.

Are there any additional tips for a successful egg drop project?

Here are a few additional tips for a successful egg drop project: 1) Make sure to follow all safety guidelines and have adult supervision. 2) Test your container multiple times before the final drop. 3) Consider the angle and speed of the drop when designing your container. 4) Have fun and be creative with your design!