Looking for some help realting to spring energy changes

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving elastic and gravitational potential energy, where a spring is released and the maximum height it reaches needs to be determined. The equations for EPE and GPE are given, and the attempt at solving the problem is shared. The main confusion seems to be about how to find the maximum height, with suggestions to simplify the problem and take into account any energy lost due to internal vibrations in the spring. The poster is also reminded to upload images directly in the post for easier understanding and to follow the homework rules.
Jonah765

Homework Statement

https://imgur.com/gallery/PQx8SmX

Homework Equations

EPE (elastic potential energy) = 1/2kx^2

GPE (gravitational potential energy) = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt, https://imgur.com/gallery/lJDhwqD
[/B]
I feel like I've made progress considering the quadratic factored to a neat 0.05 m, however from there i don't know how to proceed to find the maximum height. Essentially all that is required is to find the value of h, then max height = x + h, but I am not sure how to go about that

Perhaps i am going about this the wrong way, I have tried to consider the change in energy from stage 2 to 3, but come to the same final result/dilemma. any help is appreciated, ty.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please upload an image.

Np14 said:
Please upload an image.

As far as I am aware I have, there are two imgur links in my post, unless you mean something else? :)

Jonah765 said:
As far as I am aware I have, there are two imgur links in my post, unless you mean something else? :)
That is not uploading them, that is giving external links that gives the people you are asking for help an additional barrier to helping you since they have to open an external page. You should include the images in your post.

You should also read the homework rules regarding uploading problem statements and attempts in image format.

Jonah765 said:
Perhaps i am going about this the wrong way
I think you have misunderstood the set-up. My reading is that the spring is merely hooked onto something at the top end so that when released the entire spring flies up to some height.
Also, I think you have to take a rather simplistic view, converting all the spring energy into height gain. In reality, massive springs are complicated; some of the energy would go into internal vibrations.

1. What is spring energy?

Spring energy is the energy stored in a compressed or stretched spring. This energy is a type of potential energy, meaning it has the potential to do work when released.

2. How does a spring store energy?

When a spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy in the form of elastic potential energy. This means that the spring has the ability to return to its original shape and size when the force is removed.

3. How does spring energy change?

The amount of potential energy stored in a spring depends on its displacement or how much it is compressed or stretched. As the displacement changes, the potential energy stored in the spring also changes.

4. How is spring energy related to spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of how stiff a spring is. It is directly related to the amount of force required to compress or stretch a spring by a certain distance. The higher the spring constant, the more energy it can store.

5. What factors affect spring energy changes?

The main factor that affects spring energy changes is the displacement of the spring. Other factors that can also affect spring energy include the material and size of the spring, as well as the spring constant.