Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Eh? How do I solve xe^(a/x) = b?

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    Eh??? How do I solve xe^(a/x) = b?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

xe^(-a/x) = b, where a and b are numbers that are given and I'm trying to solve for x.

3. The attempt at a solution

All I can think of are Taylor series, which won't work in this case because a is ~4000 and b = ~0.1, so I'd need to expand to a lot of terms.

I could try to do it numerically, but would rather not... I know the answer ends up being ~520.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Eh??? How do I solve xe^(a/x) = b?

You have a transcendental equation here, with no algebraic solution. Are you sure this is the correct equation?

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3

Yes. I'm trying to solve the equation that's in the book.

It's for charge carrier density in a semi-conductor

n^2 = B*T^3*exp(-E/kT)

Where n, B, E, and k are constants that are given. So I divide by B, then cube root it to obtain T*exp(-a/T) = b

A similar problem is later on in the homework set, where the professor says to calculate it numerically. I mean, the problem is identical except you first have to find n with another equation, then you're back to that. But he makes no mention of calculating it numerically here.

I think, though, that he still wants us to, because like you said, no easy solution. It would take a team of Russian mathematicians in one of Russia's finest Gulag's at least a year to find the solution*. I'll just do this numerically also. In the least I needed confirmation that it's not a trivial answer. Thanks.

*I'm taking a shot in the dark here.

5. Oct 3, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

There is actually no possible way of expressing that number in terms of commonly known constants. It would only take, however, someone with a big ego typing onto Physicsforums to define, eg, The GibZ Constant, whose definition is the unique solution to the above equation, numerically approximately *blah blah*. Those are your options, but in the end, for a "useful" answer you'll need a numerical approximation, no way around it.

6. Oct 3, 2008 #5

Found an answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert_W_function

Too bad it's useless... and still amounts to a numerical computation. Oh well. Thanks guys.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook