1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eh? How do I solve xe^(a/x) = b?

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    Eh??? How do I solve xe^(a/x) = b?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

xe^(-a/x) = b, where a and b are numbers that are given and I'm trying to solve for x.

3. The attempt at a solution

All I can think of are Taylor series, which won't work in this case because a is ~4000 and b = ~0.1, so I'd need to expand to a lot of terms.

I could try to do it numerically, but would rather not... I know the answer ends up being ~520.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Eh??? How do I solve xe^(a/x) = b?

You have a transcendental equation here, with no algebraic solution. Are you sure this is the correct equation?

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3

Yes. I'm trying to solve the equation that's in the book.

It's for charge carrier density in a semi-conductor

n^2 = B*T^3*exp(-E/kT)

Where n, B, E, and k are constants that are given. So I divide by B, then cube root it to obtain T*exp(-a/T) = b

A similar problem is later on in the homework set, where the professor says to calculate it numerically. I mean, the problem is identical except you first have to find n with another equation, then you're back to that. But he makes no mention of calculating it numerically here.

I think, though, that he still wants us to, because like you said, no easy solution. It would take a team of Russian mathematicians in one of Russia's finest Gulag's at least a year to find the solution*. I'll just do this numerically also. In the least I needed confirmation that it's not a trivial answer. Thanks.

*I'm taking a shot in the dark here.

5. Oct 3, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

There is actually no possible way of expressing that number in terms of commonly known constants. It would only take, however, someone with a big ego typing onto Physicsforums to define, eg, The GibZ Constant, whose definition is the unique solution to the above equation, numerically approximately *blah blah*. Those are your options, but in the end, for a "useful" answer you'll need a numerical approximation, no way around it.

6. Oct 3, 2008 #5

Found an answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert_W_function

Too bad it's useless... and still amounts to a numerical computation. Oh well. Thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?