Solving an equation for ##x## involving inverse circular functions

I tried to edit my post to clarify my question, but it did not work.My question is why do we have to restrict the range of theta to ##(-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})##?In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving solving for ##x## in an equation and the issue of a potential typo in the given answer of ##-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}##. The participants suggest checking the validity of the answer and provide potential solutions and explanations for the discrepancy. The final resolution is to rule out ##-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}## as a solution due to the difference between the two sides of the equation when substituted. The conversation also
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Solve the following equation : ##\pmb{\tan^{-1}\frac{1-x}{1+x}=\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}x}##
Relevant Equations
1. If ##\tan\theta=1\Rightarrow \theta =\tan^{-1} 1 = \tfrac{\pi}{4}##, ##\underline{\text{the principal value}}##.
2. ##\tan(A-B) = \frac{\tan A - \tan B}{1+\tan A \tan B}##
Problem Statement : Solve for ##x## :
1640285637938.png

Attempt : If I take ##x=\tan\theta##, the L.H.S. reads $$\tan^{-1}\frac{1-\tan\theta}{1+\tan\theta}= \tan^{-1}\left[\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{4}-\theta \right) \right ]=\frac{\pi}{4}-\theta.$$

On going back to ##x## from ##\theta##, the given equation now reads : $$\frac{\pi}{4}-\tan^{-1}x = \frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}x\Rightarrow \tan^{-1}x=\frac{2}{3}\times \frac{\pi}{4}=\frac{\pi}{6}\Rightarrow \boxed{x=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}}.$$

Answer : I copy and paste the answer from the book :
1640286252910.png

Doubt : Where does the answer ##-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}## come from? If we take the principal value of ##\tan^{-1}1=\dfrac{\pi}{4}##, I don't see how there can be a second answer.

A hint or suggestion will be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't work through this at the moment. What I would do is to check whether ##-\frac 1{\sqrt 3}## is a solution of the original equation. If not, the book's answer is a typo.

Likes vela
brotherbobby said:
Attempt : If I take ##x=\tan\theta##, the L.H.S. reads $$\tan^{-1}\frac{1-\tan\theta}{1+\tan\theta}= \tan^{-1}\left[\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{4}-\theta \right) \right ]=\frac{\pi}{4}-\theta.$$
Note that ##\tan^{-1}\tan x = x## only when ##x \in (-\frac \pi 2, \frac \pi 2)##

Likes sysprog
Although, in this case this subtlety does not produce a second solution.

I did a bit of investigating. If we try: $$\tan^{-1}\frac{1-x}{1+x} = k\tan^{-1}x$$then we always get one solution (for ##k > -1##). And, we get a second solution for ##\frac 1 2 < k < 2##.

There is almost a second solution for ##k = \frac 1 2##, which is ##x \rightarrow -\infty##, or ##\theta = -\frac \pi 2##.

Last edited:
I think there's a typo in the answer for ##x = -\frac 1 {\sqrt 3}##
From Excel, with that value, ##\arctan(\frac{1 - x}{1 + x}) \approx 1.308997##, while ##.5\arctan x \approx -0.2618##.

Mark44 said:
From Excel, with that value, ##\arctan(\frac{1 - x}{1 + x}) \approx 1.308997##, while ##.5\arctan x \approx -0.2618##.
Try ##x## large and negative instead!

PeroK said:
Try x large and negative instead!
I was just comparing the two posted solutions.

PeroK said:
I did a bit of investigating. If we try: $$\tan^{-1}\frac{1-x}{1+x} = k\tan^{-1}x$$then we always get one solution (for ##k > -1##). And, we get a second solution for ##\frac 1 2 < k < 2##.

There is almost a second solution for ##k = \frac 1 2##, which is ##x \rightarrow -\infty##, or ##\theta = -\frac \pi 2##.
Just to correct this after having double-checked everything. ##x = \tan \theta## is a solution, where
$$\theta = \frac{\pi}{4(k+1)} \ \ (k < -2 \ or \ k > -\frac 1 2)$$ $$\theta = \frac{-3\pi}{4(k+1)} \ \ (\frac 1 2 < k < 2)$$ And we have two solutions when ##\frac 1 2 < k < 2##. For example, with ##k = 1## we have:
$$\theta = -\frac{3\pi}{8} \ and \ \theta = \frac{\pi}{8}$$

Likes sysprog
PS I think you learn a lot more about these equations by working out the general case, than doing one problem with a specific value of ##k = \frac 1 2 ## and then moving on.

Mark44 said:
The difference between those two values is ##\pi/2##. It looks like they're getting a second solution from
$$\frac \pi 4 - \theta = \frac 12 (\theta + \pi),$$ which implies ##\theta = -\frac \pi 6##.

Likes sysprog and PeroK
vela said:
The difference between those two values is ##\pi/2##. It looks like they're getting a second solution from
$$\frac \pi 4 - \theta = \frac 12 (\theta + \pi),$$ which implies ##\theta = -\frac \pi 6##.
And the problem with that is that it requires ##\frac \pi 4 - \theta < -\frac \pi 2##. Which requires ##\theta > \frac{3\pi}{4}##. That would give the equivalent solution of ##\theta = \frac{5\pi}{6}##. But, when we set up ##x = \tan \theta## we needed a single range for ##\theta##, such as ##\theta \in (-\frac \pi 2, \frac \pi 2)##.

In other words, solutions with ##\theta## outside this range must be excluded.

Note that in general we may have ##\frac \pi 4 - \theta > \frac \pi 2##, which happens if ##-\frac \pi 2 < \theta < -\frac \pi 4##. That's why we get a second solution for some values of ##k##.

Ironically, the book got the completely wrong solution ##\theta = -\frac \pi 6##, but missed the near solution ##\theta = -\frac \pi 2##, which equates to infinitely large negative ##x##.

Thank you all for your comments. I am the creator (OP) of this thread and I lost most of what you said towards the end. For now I respond to @Mark44 's post #2 :
Mark44 said:
What I would do is to check whether ##-\tfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}}##is a solution of the original equation. If not, the book's answer is a typo.
Problem Statement : Solve the equation :
1640285637938-png.png

Attempt : I have solved the problem in my post #1 above. I got the answer ##\boxed{x = \tfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}}}##.

Issue : The text gives the answer : ##\pmb{x = \pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}}##. Where does it get the answer ##x=-\tfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}}## from, when we know that the principal value of ##\tan^{-1}(1) = \tfrac{\pi}{4}##? (see my solutions in post#1 above).

Resolution : Let me put ##x=-\tfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}}## on both sides of the equation to see if the answers match.

L.H.S. = ##\tan^{-1}\frac{1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}}{1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}}= \tan^{-1}\frac{\sqrt{3}+1}{\sqrt{3}-1}=-\tan^{-1}\frac{1+\sqrt{3}}{1-\sqrt{3}}=-\tan^{-1}\left[ \tan\left(\pi/4+\pi/3 \right) \right]=-7\pi/12##.

R.H.S. = ##\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}\left(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\right)=-\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} = -\frac{1}{2}\times\frac{\pi}{6} = -\pi/12.##

Clearly the two sides are different when ##x = -1/\sqrt 3##, unless I am mistaken in my workings above.

That should be enough to rule out ##x = -1/\sqrt 3## as a solution to the given equation.

Likes sysprog
PeroK said:
Note that ##\tan^{-1}\tan x = x## only when ##x \in (-\frac \pi 2, \frac \pi 2)##
I did not understand, so if you can explain.

Isn't it always the case that ##\tan (\tan^{-1}x) = x##, irrespective of the value of ##x##?

Of course I am aware that ##\tan \pi/2## blows up.

brotherbobby said:
I did not understand, so if you can explain.

Isn't it always the case that ##\tan (\tan^{-1}x) = x##, irrespective of the value of ##x##?

Of course I am aware that ##\tan \pi/2## blows up.
Yes, ##\tan (\tan^{-1}x) = x##. But, ##\tan^{-1} (\tan x) = x## only when ##x \in (-\frac \pi 2, \frac \pi 2)##

brotherbobby said:
That should be enough to rule out ##x = -1/\sqrt 3## as a solution to the given equation.
Yes, the book is wrong. But, likewise, you potentially missed a second solution. In this case, ##\theta = -\frac \pi 2## is a solution of sorts.

1. What are inverse circular functions?

Inverse circular functions are mathematical functions that undo the effects of their corresponding circular functions. They are used to solve equations involving circular functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. Why is it important to solve equations involving inverse circular functions?

Solving equations involving inverse circular functions allows us to find the value of the variable (usually represented by x) that satisfies the equation. This is important in many real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

3. What are the common inverse circular functions?

The common inverse circular functions are arcsine (sin-1), arccosine (cos-1), and arctangent (tan-1). These functions are the inverse of sine, cosine, and tangent, respectively.

4. How do you solve an equation for x involving inverse circular functions?

To solve an equation for x involving inverse circular functions, you need to isolate the inverse circular function on one side of the equation and then use the inverse function to solve for x. For example, if the equation is sin-1(x) = 0.5, you would first take the sine of both sides to get x = sin(0.5), and then use a calculator to find the value of x.

5. What are some tips for solving equations involving inverse circular functions?

Some tips for solving equations involving inverse circular functions include: understanding the properties of inverse functions, using a calculator to find the exact value of the inverse function, and checking your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it satisfies the equation.