Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigen Value and Eigen Function

1. Jun 18, 2010 #1
    I know that the eigen equation is given by [tex]A\psi =\lambda\psi[/tex] where A is an operator and [tex]\psi[/tex] is an eigen function and [tex]\lambda[/tex] is an eigen value.
    For the particle in an infinite square well of width L the wavefunction is given by [tex]\psi (x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})[/tex] and the energy is given by [tex]E=\frac{n^2h^2}{8ml^2}[/tex]
    I want to know why [tex]\psi[/tex] is called eigen function and E is called the eigen value.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2010 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

From German eigen, meaning "distinct", "particular", "[one's] own".

It comes by analogy to linear algebra. If a vector [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] is such that when you multiply a matrix A, by it, you get back the same matrix multiplied by some scalar (lambda):
    [tex]\mathbf{A}\vec{v} = \lambda\mathbf{A}[/tex]
    Then [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] is an eigenvector of A, and [tex]\lambda[/tex] the corresponding eigenvalue. Any linear algebra textbook will tell you all about it.

This concept can be generalized to linear operators (matrix multiplication being a linear operation). For a linear operator [tex]\hat{O}[/tex], and a function f, if:
    [tex]\hat{O}f = \lambda f[/tex]

Then f is an eigenfunction of [tex]\hat{O}[/tex], and [tex]\lambda[/tex] is again the corresponding eigenvalue. If you have a given operator and some boundary conditions, and wish to find the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues for it, then that's called an "eigenvalue problem".

For instance, the differential operator [tex]\hat{D}^n = \frac{d^n}{d x^n}[/tex] is a linear operator.
    So differential equations, such as [tex]\frac{df}{d x} - \lambda f(x) = 0[/tex] are eigenvalue problems.

4. Jun 18, 2010 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi roshan2004! :smile:

(have a psi: ψ and a lambda: λ and a pi: π and a square-root: √ and a curly d: ∂ :wink:)

your wavefunction should also have an eiωt factor

the (energy) operator A is ih∂/∂t (where i'm writing h for h-bar = h/2π),

so the (energy) eigenvalue is hω

(which just happens to be h(nπ/L)2/2m = h2n2/8mL2

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_well" [Broken] :wink:)​

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jun 18, 2010 #4
    Thanks, but in this case I couldnot find operator here, which is the operator in this case?

6. Jun 18, 2010 #5

alxm

Science Advisor

The Hamiltonian. The time-independent Schrödinger equation is simply the eigenvalue problem for the Hamiltonian.
    Also, since V = 0 and you only have one dimension in the infinite square well, the Hamiltonian in that case is just the second-order differential operator (multiplied by [tex]-\hbar/2m[/tex])

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook