Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenfunction for Adjoint Operstor

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1

I am having a question again (I should not work on so many things at the same time).

I came across an operator A acting on C^2 - functions f:R^2->R:

[tex](Af)(x,y)=(\Delta f)(x,y)-f(x,y)+f(0,y)[/tex]

My goal is to find the adjoint operator (acting on measures) with respect to the inner product

[tex]\left\langle f,\mu\right\rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^2}{f(x,y)d\mu(x,y)}[/tex]

For the case that [tex]\mu[/tex] has a density with respect to lesbesgue measure, i.e
    [tex]d\mu(x,y)=g(x,y)d^2\lambda[/tex] I figured out that the adjoint, acting on [tex]\mu[/tex] and hence on the function g can be written as

[tex](A^*g)(x,y)=(\Delta g)(x,y)-g(x,y)+\delta_0(x)\int_\mathbb{R}{dt\, g(t,y)}[/tex]

However, the [tex]\delta_0(x)[/tex] makes me think that this is not quite the right approach:smile:

My interpreation for this is that [tex]A^*[/tex] acting on a "nice" measure (having a density) gives something which does not have a density.

I further concluded that the "eigenmeasure" for [tex]A^*[/tex] which I am interested in, cannot have a density so it seems necessary to find out how [tex]A^*[/tex] acts on for example a measure including a point mass at zero. I don't know how this can be done. More specifically, if we only consider the laplace part for now: What is [tex]Z(x,y)d^2\lambda[/tex] in

[tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}^2}{(\Delta f)(x,y)\delta_0(x)d^2\lambda(x,y)}=\int_{\mathbb{R}^2}{f(x,y)Z(x,y)d^2\lambda(x,y)}[/tex]

I would take this [tex]Z(x,y)d^2\lambda[/tex] to be [tex](\Delta^*\delta_0(x)d^2\lambda(x,y))(x,y)[/tex] if it happened to exist in some way or another...

Thanks for your help

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2008 #2
    It maybe is a good idea to first consider the problem in only one dimension:

Here the operator is

Again I am interested in an eigenmeasure of the adjoint operator with respect to the same inner product as above (integration). I found

[tex](A^*g)(x)=(\partial_x^2g)(x)+\delta_0(x)\int_\mathbb{R}{dt\, g(t)}-g(x)[/tex]

where the function g represents the measure g(x)dx...

How ever I have a strong feeling that this operator does not have an eigenfunction.. can somebody confirm this...?

4. Feb 22, 2008 #3
    So if nobody replies I do it myself:smile:

My last one dimensional DGL is obviously solved for [tex]x\neq 0[/tex] by

[tex]g(x)=A e^{-|x|}[/tex]

(I only want finite measures (in fact probabilty measures) hence integrable functions.

How ever for x=0 this is not a solution, so something weird might happen there..any suggestions...maybe an Admin could move this into Differential Equations ... if it seems appropriate..

I solved it again, this time via a Fourier Transform, and I changed my opinion concerning [tex]g(x)=A e^{-|x|}[/tex] not being a solution for x=0....the delta distribution seems to somehow compensate for the non-differentiability at x=0. So I'll try the same method for the original two-dimensional problem and ask again if it does not work out:smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?