1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenfunction of a system of three fermions

1. Aug 23, 2014 #1
    I have to find the eigenfunction of the ground state [itex]\Psi_0 [/itex] of a three independent s=1/2 particle system.

The eigenfunctions [itex]\phi_{n,s}(x) = \varphi_n(x) \ \chi_s [/itex] and eigenvalues [itex] E_n [/itex] of the single particle Hamiltonian are known.

Becuse of the Pauli exclusion principle, there must be two particles with opposite z component of the spin in the lowest energy single particle level and one particle in the first excited single particle level.
    I have attempted to solve the problem saying that the eigenfunction [itex]\Psi_0 [/itex] of the three particle system must be either the Slater determinant of ##\phi_{0,+}(x), \phi_{0,-}(x)## and ##\phi_{1,+}(x)## or the Slater determinant of ##\phi_{0,+}(x), \phi_{0,-}(x)## and ##\phi_{1,-}(x)## (two possible excited levels).

Now, my question is: since the particle with higher energy can be both in the state ##\phi_{1,+}(x)## and in the state ##\phi_{1,-}(x)## without any preference, is it fine to consider these two single particle states in order to calculate the two Slater determinants, or should I consider two linear combinations of them (i.e. ##\varphi_1(x) \ (\chi_+ + \chi_-)## and ##\varphi_1(x) \ (\chi_+ - \chi_-)##)?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it does not matter. As long as the states are degenerate you may use either combination as a basis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted