• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding normalized eigenfunctions of a linear operator in Matrix QM

• Thread starter Dixanadu
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Hey everyone!
The question is this:
Consider a two-state system with normalized energy eigenstates [itex]\psi_{1}(x)[/itex] and [itex]\psi_{2}(x)[/itex], and corresponding energy eigenvalues [itex]E_{1}[/itex] and [itex]E_{2} = E_{1}+\Delta E; \Delta E>0[/itex]

(a) There is another linear operator [itex]\hat{S}[/itex] that acts by swapping the two energy eigenstates: [itex]\hat{S}\psi_{1}=\psi_{2}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{S}\psi_{2}=\psi_{1}[/itex]. Show that the corresponding normalized eigenfunctions of [itex]\hat{S}[/itex] are [itex]\phi_{1}(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_{1}(x)+\psi_{2}(x))[/itex] and [itex]\phi_{2}(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_{1}(x)-\psi_{2}(x))[/itex], with eigenvalues [itex]\lambda_{1}=+1[/itex] and [itex]\lambda_{2}=-1[/itex]

Homework Equations

- The regular eigenvalue/eigenvector stuff.
- In matrix mechanics, the wavefunction [itex]\psi_{n}(x)=C_{1}(1,0...n)^{T}+C_{2}(0,1,0...n)^{T}+...C_{n}(0....n)^{T}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've found the matrix associated with the linear operator [itex]\hat{S}[/itex] in the natural basis [itex]U_{1}=(1,0)^{T}, U_{2}=(0,1)^{T}[/itex]; which is:
http://imageshack.com/a/img266/5713/bfo6.jpg [Broken]
This gives the correct eigenvalues of +1 and -1. But I dont know how to find the eigenfunctions that the question is talking about. I'm not even sure if the matrix is right...

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I think the hint I can give is to use that S is linear and consider a linear combination of the 2 vectors psi1 and psi2.

But is my matrix correct for S..?

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Who cares, you needn't use any matrix to solve the problem.

what other ways are there that I can solve this? is it the bra-kets? And yea that matrix is wrong, it should be 0 along the diagonal and 1 otherwise. That's the only way it can be linear always and hermitian, which is the requirement.