1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenfunctions and dirac notation for a quantum mechanical system.

1. Dec 2, 2013 #1
    QUESTION
    A quantum mechanical system has a complete orthonormal set of energy eigenfunctions,
    |n> with associate eigenvalues, En. The operator [itex]\widehat{A}[/itex] corresponds to an observable such that
    Aˆ|1> = |2>
    Aˆ|2> = |1>
    Aˆ|n> = |0>, n ≥ 3
    where |0> is the null ket. Find a complete orthonormal set of eigenfunctions for
    [itex]\widehat{A}[/itex]. The observable is measured and found to have the value +1. The system is unperturbed and then after a time t is remeasured . Calculate the probability
    that +1 is measured again.

I would really appreciate any guidance on this. I cannot find this in my book at all. I know my teacher has spoken about it bra-ket notation and such. but it never really made sense. where can I find examples of problems like this but not this.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could start out by telling me what ##{\widehat A}(|1>+|2>)## and ##{\widehat A}(|1>-|2>)## are.

4. Dec 3, 2013 #3
    Aˆ(|1>+|2>) = |2> + |1> ?
    Aˆ(|1>−|2>) = |2> - |1> ? I really don't know

5. Dec 3, 2013 #4
    I found this I feel like it should help me but I don't know...

For every observable A, there is an operator [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] which acts upon the
    wavefunction so that, if a system is in a state described by |ψ>, the
    expectation value of A is
    <A>= <ψ|[itex]\hat{A}[/itex]|ψ>= ∫ dx ψ*(x) [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] ψ(x)

that integral is from -∞ to ∞

6. Dec 3, 2013 #5
    ok so I am reading a little more and.

Aˆ(|1>+|2>) = Aˆ|1>+Aˆ|2> ==>α=1, β=1
    Aˆ(|1>−|2>) = Aˆ|1>-Aˆ|2> ==>α=1,β=-1

<1|2> = <-2|1>

idk this does not really make sense to me

7. Dec 3, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, A^(|1>+|2>)=|1>+|2> and A^(|1>-|2>)=|2>-|1>=(-1)*(|1>-|2>). What does that tell about eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A^?

8. Dec 3, 2013 #7
    that they are linear and Hermitian

or I guess that's for A^.....

9. Dec 3, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be more specific. Looking at those two equations I see two eigenvectors of A^ and their corresponding eigenvalues.

10. Dec 3, 2013 #9
    maybe that En is 1 and 2 ?

11. Dec 3, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Noo. x is an eigenvector of A^ if A^(x)=cx for some constant c. What does A^(|1>+|2>)=|1>+|2> tell you?

12. Dec 3, 2013 #11
    is the probability that |1> will give 2 at t=0 |En|2 and that equals 1 ?

13. Dec 3, 2013 #12
    I guess that means that α and β are 1?

14. Dec 3, 2013 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's still not saying anything about eigenvalues or eigenvectors. Look, A^(|1>+|2>)=|1>+|2> tells me that |1>+|2> is an eigenvector of A^. Why do I say that and what's the corresponding eigenvalue?

15. Dec 3, 2013 #14
    I don't know I give up. thanks for trying man.

16. Dec 3, 2013 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, something isn't clicking here. But in case you decide to take another crack at it, I'm trying to get you to see that |1>+|2> is an eigenvector of A^ with an eigenvalue of +1 and |1>-|2> is an eigenvector of A^ with an eigenvalue of -1. Review the definition of eigenvector, there's nothing very hard about this part. You are just getting confused by other stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted