Eigenfunctions orthogonal in Hilbert space

In summary, eigenfunctions being orthogonal in Hilbert space means their inner product is zero. This is similar to the concept of orthogonal vectors in ##\mathbb{R}^3##. Hilbert space can have infinite dimensions and the inner product of functions is defined as an integral between the functions. As long as a function space fulfills the requirements of a vector space and has an inner product, it can be considered a Hilbert space.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I am having a question regarding how eigenfunctions are orthogonal in Hilbert space, or what does that even mean (other than the inner product is zero). I mean, I know in ##\mathbb {R^{3}}##, vectors are orthogonal when they are right angles to each other.

However, how can functions be "orthogonal", in the sense of being perpendicular, and does Hilbert Space have infinite dimensions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
I am having a question regarding how eigenfunctions are orthogonal in Hilbert space, or what does that even mean (other than the inner product is zero).

There is no other meaning to it, it simply means the inner product between the functions is zero. The geometrical interpretation for ##\mathbb R^n## is that two orthogonal vectors are at right angle to each other, but really this is also a matter of definition of orthogonality.

Maylis said:
and does Hilbert Space have infinite dimensions?

It can have infinite dimensions, yes. It can even be non-separable. It does not have to be infinite dimensional.

But how can you even take the inner product of functions? I thought this was something you did with vectors. For example, what's the inner product of ##f_{1}(x) = x## and ##f_{2}(x) = x^{2}##? This doesn't mean anything to me

Maylis said:
But how can you even take the inner product of functions? I thought this was something you did with vectors. For example, what's the inner product of ##f_{1}(x) = x## and ##f_{2}(x) = x^{2}##? This doesn't mean anything to me
For functions, the inner product is usually defined (in physics) as
$$
\langle f, g \rangle \equiv \int_a^b f^* g \, d\tau
$$
where ##a## and ##b## are appropriate limits and the integration element ##d\tau## will depend on how the function is expressed. In 1D, ##d\tau## will usually be ##dx## or ##dp##.

Maylis said:

Function spaces can also be vector spaces. As long as you can add functions and multiply them by constants and still be within the function space (with all of the relevant requirements fulfilled), it is a vector space. For example, the identity vector under addition is simply the zero function, for which f(x) = 0 for all x. The inner product that DrClaude mentions fulfils all of the requirements of an inner product (sometimes it will also come with an additional weight function), which you can check by simply ticking off the axioms for an inner product. A function space which is a vector space endowed with an inner product is an inner product space. A Hilbert space is essentially an inner product space where all Cauchy sequences converge to an element in the space.

1. What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a function that, when operated on by a linear operator, gives a scalar multiple of itself as the result.

2. What is meant by "orthogonal" in Hilbert space?

In Hilbert space, two functions are considered orthogonal if their inner product is equal to zero. This means that the functions are perpendicular to each other in the space.

3. What is the importance of eigenfunctions being orthogonal in Hilbert space?

The orthogonality of eigenfunctions in Hilbert space allows for the decomposition of a function into a series of orthogonal functions. This is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications.

4. How are eigenfunctions used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, eigenfunctions are used to describe the wave-like behavior of particles. The eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian operator represent the energy states of a particle, and the coefficients of the eigenfunctions represent the probability amplitudes of the particle being in that energy state.

5. Can any function be represented as a series of orthogonal eigenfunctions in Hilbert space?

No, not all functions can be represented as a series of orthogonal eigenfunctions in Hilbert space. The function must satisfy certain conditions, such as being square-integrable, for this representation to be possible.