1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenspace and basis of eigenvectors

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the matrix
    0 1 0
    0 0 1
    -3 -7 -5

Find the eigenspaces for the various eigenvalues
    Prove that there cannot be a basis of R3 consisting entirely of eigenvectors of A

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The eigenvectors are not a problem, I end up with (λ+3)(λ+1)2 so my eigenvalues are -3 and -1. Substituting in I get [1, -3, 9] and [1, -1, 1]. Now would the eigenspace simply be {[1, -3, 9], [1, -1, 1], [0, 0, 0]} or am I missing some other step?

Also, how can I prove there cannot be a basis of R3 consisting of eigenvectors of A? Could it just be because there must be n vectors in a basis of Rn?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Don't include the zero vector. It can't be a vector in a basis.
    For R3, any basis must contain 3 linearly independent vectors. Since your basis contains only two vectors, these two vectors could not possibly span R3, and so aren't a basis for R3.

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your characteristic polynomial is wrong. So the eigenvalues and eigenvectors are too. Did you put the correct matrix in the problem statement?

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4

Mark44

Dick makes a good point. After putting in all that effort to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors, you should at least check your work. If x is an eigenvector with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex], then it should be true that Ax = [itex]\lambda[/itex]x.

6. Oct 17, 2011 #5
    Aaahhh sorry, I missed a 1, it's corrected now

7. Oct 17, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's better. Now listen to Mark44 on the basis part of the question.

8. Oct 17, 2011 #7
    Thank you. So I know I can't have the zero vector as part of a basis, but should it be included in the eigenspace? or is the eigenspace juste a basis of the eigenvectors? The terminology confuses me a little.

9. Oct 17, 2011 #8

Mark44

The eigenspace is the set of all linear combinations of the basis vectors. The eigenspace is a vector space, which like all vector spaces, includes a zero vector.

No one is asking you to list the eigenspace (an impossible task) - just a basis for it.

10. Oct 17, 2011 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be careful. You have two different eigenspaces here. One corresponding to the eigenvalue -3 and another to the eigenvalue -1. What's a basis for each?

11. Oct 17, 2011 #10
    Oh ok so basis for lambda=-3 is span(1, -3, 9) and for -1 it is span(1, -1, 1).
    Why is it that there can't be a basis for R3 of only eigenvectors?

12. Oct 17, 2011 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's basically what you said. To span R3 you need three linearly independent eigenvectors. The eigenspaces only give you two.

13. Oct 17, 2011 #12
    Alright thank you so much guys, this was really helpful. Is there some way to +rep or something?

14. Oct 17, 2011 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you mean a ratings boost, no, we don't have that. Thanks is enough. Very welcome.

15. Oct 17, 2011 #14

Mark44

Same here. Posters don't always say "thank you," but it's appreciated when they do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook